Welcome to the City of Scottsdale's Office of Diversity and Inclusion webpage. Our city is full of cultural events and educational series for local residents and visitors to enjoy.
Please enjoy this page as a useful tool for connecting to Scottsdale's authentically diverse community, to ADA resources, to Title VI Civil Rights information, and overall diversity and inclusion enhancing activities, both for work and play.
Our mission and purpose:
City Council Mission Statement: Simply Better Service for a World-Class Community
City Council priority: Reinvest in a high performing organization and work culture
Diversity and inclusion purpose statement: Help the City of Scottsdale become a more diverse workforce, skilled at working inclusively and respectfully and committed to serving our community's diverse needs.
This is achieved through a diversity framework that includes three goals:
- Expand diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Workforce will be skilled at working inclusively and respectfully,
- Demonstrate city's commitment to our community's diverse needs.
Who we are:
We exist to foster fairness in organizational diversity, initiate strategies that intervene in discrimination or prejudice attitudes, and most importantly, to celebrate and educate one another about who we are to promote conscious inclusion. In addition, we develop and sponsor training, services, programs, and events that create work and community environments where differences are valued, respected, and embraced.
The Diversity Manager is accessible both to employees and the general community and is a resource involving discriminatory complaints or concerns.
Services & programs:
The image of the community and the organization is shaped through our interactions and partnerships inside and outside the community. We learn more about one another as we interact in meaningful and productive ways with all members of the community, thus shaping a healthy future in a truly pluralistic society.
- Provides city-wide ADA coordination and Title VI Civil Rights oversight
- Designs and delivers relevant and meaningful training and workshops for internal and external audiences
- Works with city divisions to supports city-wide strategic diversity priorities
- Facilitate Diversity Advisory Committee (DAC) team and their endeavors related to diversity goals, diversity competencies, and D & I education.
- Serve as a liaison for the Scottsdale Human Relations Commission (SHRC)
- Evaluate citizen complaints and provide appropriate mediation and consultation
- Provide consultation and facilitation to departments to successfully identify diversity priorities within city divisions
Our Community Programs
- Dinner & Dialogue - a series hosted by the SHRC several times a year
- Peace & Community Day collaboration with Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
- Plans creative community diversity events and opportunities with local collaborators
- Supports valley-wide Community Diversity Partners
- Mayor’s Committee on Employment of People With Disabilities scholarships
- Martin Luther King Jr. Community Celebration planning committee
- Annual Multi-City Regional Unity Festival and Walk
Diversity & Inclusion Program Manager
Stanna Michelle Slater
Appointed LGBTQ Liaison to City Executives