Green Building Program
The Green Building Program encourages a whole-systems approach through design and building techniques to minimize environmental impact and reduce the energy consumption of buildings while contributing to the health of its occupants.
Open House: September 27, 2022
Proposed Updates for Scottsdale's Energy and Green Construction Codes
Thank you to those who were able to join us to provide input as the city considers adopting new provisions to its energy and green construction codes.
The city is still interested in hearing from members of the community about the recommended updates, especially those that would now be mandatory. Energy code provisions for residential buildings include electric vehicle charging infrastructure, cool roofs, solar ready space accommodations and an option for solar PV installation. Green code provisions for commercial buildings include heat island mitigation, solar PV installation or equivalent energy improvements, indoor environmental quality and reduced impact building materials.
We will be accepting comments through Oct. 24, 2022.
Resources / Downloads:
Getting a Scottsdale Green Building designation is easier than you think!
Scottsdale has joined US local governments to vote in favor of 2021 building energy efficiency codes - Smart Energy International.
Green Building Webinar Series
Scottsdale hosts a green building education series featuring speakers and experts to discuss timely topics and issues involving the future of electrification, decarbonization, energy efficiency, renewables, indoor environmental quality, water use reduction and reuse, edible landscapes, low-impact building materials and innovative near-zero impact projects.
Gerald Leenerts, Home owner and high-tech wizard
Gerald and his wife knew they wanted to build a passive house, but didn't realize what that all meant. After much research and collaboration with a local architect and builder, they decided to focus on material selection as a driver for fulfilling the various functions of their home. Material selection is a big component in any building. It is a major passive element that we need to better control. There are many ways of identifying sustainable alternatives to carbon intensive and high-VOC products. Indoor air and energy monitoring in conjunction with home automation systems are also important components. Gerald would like to bring more attention to what he’s learned during the construction and expansion of their homestead.
Previously Recorded Webinars
- April 7, 2022 - Green Living
- February 10, 2022 - Living an Edible Life for Homes & Neighborhood Schools
- January 13, 2022 - Electric Vehicles, Battery Storage & Electrification
- June 3, 2021 - ReVision House Solutions
- April 7, 2021 - Simple Solutions to Restore our Earth and Presentation Slides (PDF)
- Feb 4, 2021 - Scottsdale Edible Garden
Scottsdale’s Green Building Program would like to thank the following speakers for participating in the 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 lecture series seasons. Topics included economic value of green, solar energy and battery storage, edible landscapes, building with earthen materials and ductless mini-splits cooling/heating.
Environmental Artist & Urban Garden Educator
Arizona Builder and Innovator
President, Modus Development
Senior Energy Consultant
Subscribe to Green Building
Green Building Links
- Green Residential Checklist (PDF)
- Green Residential Checklist Fill-in (XLSX)
- Green Residential Checklist for Drawings – Tier 1 (PDF)
- Green Residential Checklist for Drawings – Tier 2 (PDF)
- Green Residential Compliance Certificate (PDF)
- Green Housing Rehabilitation Program
- Solar Guidelines for Residential (PDF)
Green Building Trends
- 2021 Solar Trends Report (PDF)
- 2021 Energy and Green Code Action Plan (PDF)
- Green Building Project Highlights
- 2020 Green Building and Solar Trends Report (PDF)
- 2019 Green Building and Solar Trends Report (PDF)
- 2018 Green Building and Solar Trends Report (PDF)
- 2017 Solar Trends Report (PDF)
- 2017 Green Building Trends Report (PDF)
- 2016 Green Building Trends Report (PDF)
- 2015 Green Building Trends Report (PDF)
- 2014 Green Building Trends Report (PDF)
- 2013 Green Building Trends Report (PDF)
- 2000 Annual Green Building Report
- Southern Scottsdale Residential Energy Audit Results
- Sustainable Building Awards