The Civil Department focuses on issues relating to local government law, such as public finance, land use, public records, taxation, open meetings, public safety and condemnation. Other areas of practice include litigation in state and federal courts, torts, claims, contracts, real estate, employment, environmental, construction, administrative and Constitutional law.

The Civil Department is responsible for drafting or reviewing all legal documents including resolutions and ordinances presented to City Council, contracts, leases, and deeds to which the City is party.

Frequently Asked Questions

How is the City Attorney selected?
The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council.
Where can I find a signed copy of an agreement, resolution or ordinance?
Please refer to the Scottsdale City Clerk.
Whom do I contact to find an attorney or other legal assistance?
Please refer to the State Bar of Arizona
Does the City Attorney's Office represent private citizens?
The Scottsdale City Attorney's Office does not represent individuals in private legal matters and cannot provide any legal advice to individuals. Attorneys in the office represent the City of Scottsdale's elected officials and staff, City departments, and the City's boards and commissions
How do I file a complaint against a Scottsdale police officer?
Please refer to Scottsdale Police Department Internal Affairs.
How can I view a copy of a city ordinance?
Please refer to Municode.
How do I find information about city building or zoning codes?
Please refer to Scottsdale Codes and Ordinances.
Where do I view a copy of the Scottsdale and Arizona Laws?
Please refer to the Municode and the Arizona State Revised Statutes.
Whom do I contact if I am interested in an Internship?
Please email Joe Padilla in the City Attorney's Office or reach him by phone at 480-312-2405.
How do I request public records?
Please refer to Public Records Request
Sherry R. Scott
City Attorney
Back to Top