Trash and Recycling Collection Guidelines
Has Covid-19 effected your ability to pay your solid waste bill?
Anyone experiencing a hardship should call 480-312-2705 to discuss the payment options available.
Recycle Right Wizard
"Know Before You Throw" - Use the search bar to determine where to recycle, compost or dispose of common household items.
Curbside residential collection basics
- Place your container on the street with wheels against the curb by 5 a.m. on collection days and remove it the same day
- Keep your container at least four feet from other containers, parked cars, mail boxes and other obstacles that may prevent our crews from picking it up
- Don’t overfill your container – the lid must close per Maricopa County Health Department standards
- If your city-owned container needs repair, please call 480-312-5600 or Submit Your Online Request
(Garbage & Trash) Specifics
Bag & tie garbage & grass before placing it in your black trash container
This helps control odors and pests and is required by law
Don’t place rocks, dirt, building materials, electronics or hazardous waste in your trash container
- If you need an additional black trash container, you can purchase one and pay for additional service – please call 480-312-5600 or Submit Your Online Request
- Only put accepted materials in your recycling container.
Don't place plastic bags or liners in your recycling container as they can damage the equipment used at the sorting facility
Instead, many local grocery stores offer plastic shopping bag recycling drop-off containers
- Make sure your recyclable materials are clean, dry and empty
- Break down or cut-up cardboard boxes to keep them from getting stuck in your container
- If you need an additional mauve recycling container, we will provide one at no charge – please call 480-312-5600 or Submit Your Online Request
- If we don’t offer curbside recycling in your area, please call 480-312-5600 or Submit Your Online Request for recycling drop-off locations
Alley collection guidelines
In some parts of Scottsdale, residential trash collection is provided via 300-gallon shared containers placed in alleys. Please follow the same trash guidelines provided above.
The city and residents share responsibility for maintaining unpaved alleys in Scottsdale
- Do not place rocks, landscaping gravel, dirt or construction waste in the alley or in the container (Materials such as these must be taken to the landfill)
- Do not plant trees or shrubs in alleys
- Control grass and weeds to reduce fire hazards
- Trim trees that overhang into the alley to your fence line and to an overhead clearance of 15 feet
- Report illegal dumping to Solid Waste Services (preferably with a vehicle description and license plate number) via phone call 480-312-5600 or Submit Your Online Request