Once a permit is issued inspections are required to determine that the construction or work is being done in accordance with the approved plans.
Inspections can be scheduled for a single day from a choice of five business days. Requires the keycode printed on your permit receipt.
Phone Based Scheduling
To schedule, cancel or review status on an inspection via the telephone, call our automated system at 480-312-5796.
Fire & Life Safety Inspections
To schedule, cancel or review status on a Fire & Life Safety inspection via the telephone, call 480-312-1855
Contact your Area inspector After Scheduling
For an estimated time your inspection will occur, please call your inspector on the morning of your inspection between 6 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. during our summer hours (Apr-Oct) and between 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. during our winter hours (Nov-Mar). Have your permit number or job address available so your call can be directed to the appropriate inspector. Only the inspector can give you an estimated time of arrival.
Inspection Job Card (received at the time of permit issuance) must be posted on the job site with an approved set of plans for the inspector's use. All construction must be inspected before any completed work is covered or concealed - i.e. foundation, electrical rough wiring, etc.
- Summer (Apr-Oct) 6 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Winter (Nov-Mar) 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Building Inspection Types
Lowest Floor Elevation and FEMA Elevation Certifications
Communities are required to obtain the elevation of the lowest floor (including basement) of all new and substantially improved structures.
Permission may be given to temporarily supply and use of electricity in part of an electric installation before such installation has been fully completed and the final certificate of completion has been issued.
Certificate of Occupancy:
A Certificate of Occupancy is issued when all required inspections have been performed and does not find violations of the codes and ordinances enforced by the City of Scottsdale.
A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy may be issued before the completion of the entire work covered by a building permit, provided that such portion or portions shall be occupied safely.
Pre-site & Final Site Inspections
The purpose of the pre-site inspection is to review the approved plans, stipulations, ordinance requirements and existing site conditions with the contractor prior to commencement of construction. The final site inspection occurs when all interim inspections have been conducted and approved.
All construction or work for which a permit is required is subject to city inspections and must remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved. The following inspections are required, depending upon the amount of work being done:
- Foundation inspection
- When the excavation for footings is completed, with steel reinforcement in place, but before any concrete is placed.
- Under-slab or under-floor inspection
- When under-slab or under-floor plumbing, mechanical and /or electrical is installed, including the subfloor.
- Masonry inspection
- When required; reinforcing steel is in place, but before grouting.
- Roof deck – strap & shear wall
- When all roof sheathing is nailed, straps and tiedowns are in place.
- Framing inspection
- When all walls, fire blocking, draftstops and fireplaces are completed and all electrical, plumbing and mechanical work are roughed in, but before any of this work is covered.
- Insulation inspection
- When insulation is in place, prior to installation of gypsum board.
- Lath or gypsum board inspection:
- When all lath is in place, but before any plastering is applied.
- Final inspection
- When the building or construction is complete and all electrical, plumbing and mechanical fixtures are in place but before the structure is occupied.
Right of Way Permit - Required Inspections
All construction work within the City of Scottsdale Right of Way for which a encroachment permit is issued will be subject to city inspections. The following inspections are required and will be performed on a daily basis as the project is active.
- Grading and Dirt Hauls
- Including dust control, traffic control and compaction testing.
- Sewer Line Construction
- Including excavation, pipe bedding, pipe placement, backfill, manhole placement, and all testing procedures such as air test, mandrel, manhole leak test, and pipeline camera.
- Water Line Construction
- Including excavation, pipe bedding, pipe placement, backfill, and all testing procedures such as pressure test, and bacteria testing.
- Storm Drain Construction
- Including excavation, pipe bedding, pipe placement, backfill, headwalls, and box culverts.
- Concrete Placement
- Including curbs, sidewalks, driveways, bus bays, valley gutters and strength tests.
- Pavement Placement
- Including subgrade preparation, sub base ABC placement, asphalt placement, and all compaction testing.
- Utility / Communication lines
- Includes new conduit and fiber line install by directional drilling or open cut. All new cell sites and retrofitting of existing cell sites.
Scottsdale Revised City Code Section 31-32, subsection 116 - Construction Activity regulates the times construction activity may start and stop, with exceptions.
Summer Hours: Summer hours shall begin Apr. 1 and shall be in effect through Oct. 31. No work shall commence prior to 6 a.m. nor continue after 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work on Saturday and Sunday shall be restricted to 7 a.m. through 7 p.m. Sunday work shall only be conducted when the applicant demonstrates in writing justifiable cause for this work.
Winter Hours: The remaining portion of the year not designated as summer hours shall be winter hours. No work shall commence prior to 7 a.m. nor continue after 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work on Saturday and Sunday shall be restricted to 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Sunday work shall only be conducted when the applicant demonstrates in writing justifiable cause for this work.
Please take time to tell us about your experiences. We appreciate knowing what we are doing well and where we can improve. To better understand your needs and to improve our services, we appreciate your feedback.
Setback Certificate (PDF)