Mayor's Youth Council
The Scottsdale Mayor’s Youth Council has been in existence since the late 1980’s. The City of Scottsdale’s Youth and Family Services staff is responsible for providing direction for the group.
The purpose of the Scottsdale Mayor’s Youth Council (SMYC) is to provide Scottsdale high school youth the opportunity to:
- Learn about how local government works and how services are provided
- Tour various city facilities and meet with key city staff and city officials
- Participate in various meetings and/or events as they arise
- Share their ideas about local government and local issues with the Mayor, Mayor’s staff and City Council members
Commitment of Youth Council Members
All Mayors’ Youth Council members will be required to participate in the following:
- Applicants must be willing to attend and participate in all scheduled meetings.
- Applicants must be willing to attend other meetings or events as opportunities arise.
- Applicants must play an active role in the planning and implementation of Youth Council events.
Requirements for Membership
- Applicants must attend a high school in the City of Scottsdale or be a Scottsdale resident currently attending High School.
- Applicants must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior during the program year which follows the school calendar year.
- Applicants must have a willingness to learn and to participate in meetings.
Council Meetings and Calendar of Events
SMYC usually meets at 3:30 - 5:30 p.m., on the first and third Monday of the month during the school year (mid August - May) at Youth and Family Services, 4201 N. Hayden Road, Scottsdale, unless otherwise noted on the meeting agenda and calendar.
If you are a student interested in participating in the 2020-21 Mayors Youth Council please contact us using the contact information on this page.
- 08/10/20: Meet and Greet
- 08/24/20: Orientation to SMYC Program
- 09/07/20: Holiday - No meeting
- 09/14/20: SMYC General Meeting
- 09/21/20: City Hall Tour and Meet the Mayor
- 10/05/20: SMYC General Meeting
- 10/17/20: Outreach Event
- 10/19/20: SMYC General Meeting
- 10/19/20: Tour Hontz Training Facility
- 11/02/20: SMYC General Meeting
- 11/16/20: SMYC General Meeting
- 12/07/20: Holiday Party - Off Site
- 01/04/21: SMYC General Meeting
- 01/18/21: Youth Town Hall planning
- 02/13/21: Parada Parade
- 02/22/21: Youth Town Hall planning
- 03/01/21: SMYC General Meeting
- 03/15/21: SMYC General Meeting
- 03/29/21: Optional Planning Meeting
- 4/1/2001: Youth Town Hall event
- 04/05/21: Election of Officers
- May (TBD): End of Year Celebration!
- 2019-2020 Mayor's Youth Council Strategic Report
- 12/07/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 11/02/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 11/02/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 10/19/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 10/19/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 10/05/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 10/05/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 09/21/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 09/21/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 09/14/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 09/14/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 08/24/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 08/24/2020 Meeting Agenda
- 08/10/2020 Meeting Minutes
- 08/10/2020 Meeting Agenda