Mayor's Youth Council
The Scottsdale Mayor’s Youth Council has been in existence since the late 1980’s. The City of Scottsdale’s Youth and Family Services staff is responsible for providing direction for the group.
The purpose of the Scottsdale Mayor’s Youth Council (SMYC) is to provide Scottsdale high school youth the opportunity to:
- Learn about how local government works and how services are provided
- Tour various city facilities and meet with key city staff and city officials
- Participate in various meetings and/or events as they arise
- Share their ideas about local government and local issues with the Mayor, Mayor’s staff and City Council members
Commitment of Youth Council Members
All Mayors’ Youth Council members will be required to participate in the following:
- Applicants must be willing to attend and participate in all scheduled meetings.
- Applicants must be willing to attend other meetings or events as opportunities arise.
- Applicants must play an active role in the planning and implementation of Youth Council events.
Requirements for Membership
- Applicants must attend a high school in the City of Scottsdale or be a Scottsdale resident currently attending High School.
- Applicants must be a Sophomore, Junior or Senior during the program year which follows the school calendar year.
- Applicants must have a willingness to learn and to participate in meetings.
Council Meetings and Calendar of Events
SMYC usually meets at 3:30 - 5:30 p.m., on the first and third Monday of the month during the school year (mid August - May) at Youth and Family Services, 4201 N. Hayden Road, Scottsdale, unless otherwise noted on the meeting agenda and calendar.
|08/02/2021||SMYC In-person orientation meet and greet||Youth and Family Services||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|08/16/2021||SMYC Meet Mayor Ortega||City Hall Kiva||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|08/30/2021||General Meeting||Youth and Family Services||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|08/10/2020||Meet and Greet||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|08/24/2020||Orientation to SMYC Program||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|09/07/2020||Holiday - No meeting||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|09/14/2020||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|09/20/2020||City Hall Tour and Meet the Mayor||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|10/05/2020||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|10/17/2020||Outreach Event||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|10/19/2020||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|10/19/2020||Tour Hontz Training Facility||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|11/02/2020||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|11/16/2020||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|12/07/2020||Holiday Party - Off Site||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|01/04/2021||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|01/18/2021||Youth Town Hall planning (Meeting cancelled, MLK Holiday)||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|02/01/2021||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|02/13/2021||Parada Parade Cancelled||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|02/22/2021||Meet Judge Hendrix||N/A||Download Agenda||Download Minutes|
|03/01/2021||Meet the Mayor Ortega, City Clerk Tour||N/A||Download Agenda||No minutes to download|
|03/11/2021||Human Services Commission Meeting Attendance||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|03/15/2021||SMYC General Meeting||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|03/29/2021||Optional Planning Meeting||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|04/01/2021||Youth Town Hall Event||N/A||No agenda to download||No minutes to download|
|04/05/2021||Youth Town Hall Wrap- Up Discussion||N/A||Download Agenda||No minutes to download|
|04/19/2021||Election of Officers||N/A||Download Agenda||No minutes to download|
|05/03/2021||Scottsdale General Plan Review||N/A||Download Agenda||No minutes to download|