Mayor David Ortega
Mayor David D. Ortega began his term of office in January 2021.
Mayor Ortega is focused on safeguarding public health and safety; maintaining Scottsdale’s family-friendly neighborhoods; protecting the McDowell Sonoran Preserve and strengthening Scottsdale’s world-renowned reputation.
As mayor, he is committed to equal rights for all, responsive city government and adoption of citizen-driven General Plan 2035 to support economic vitality.
Mayor Ortega is a registered Arizona architect and designed many landmark buildings in Old Town. He is a graduate of the University of Arizona and was an apprentice architect to Bennie Gonzales FAIA, the award-winning designer of Scottsdale City Hall, Civic Center Library and Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts.
Mayor Ortega has served on numerous city, county and state commissions, and on civic, non-profit organizations including:
- Scottsdale City Councilman 2000-2004
- Scottsdale Downtown Architectural Guidelines Committee
- Scottsdale Development Review Board (member 10 years)
- Maricopa County Private Industry Council
- State of Arizona School Facilities Board (member 6 years)
- Governor’s Latino Advisory Council
- American Institute of Architects (1985-present)
- Scottsdale Leadership, Inc.
- Friends of the Scottsdale Library
- Family Promise of Greater Phoenix, Inc.
- Coronado High School Foundation for the Future, Inc.
- Chrysalis Shelter for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Reading Pals-Pueblo Elementary School SUSD
- Scottsdale Sunrise Rotary Club Past President
Mayor Ortega and his wife, Rosemary Gannon, have been married for 40 years. They live in the Park Scottsdale neighborhood near Saguaro High School where they raised their children Alexandra and Luke.
Last Updated: January 2021
3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251