Become a Lifeguard
- Lifeguarding is a fun and serious job!
- You'll gain rewarding and beneficial experience, plus every day brings new adventures.
- Learn money management, build self-confidence and a sense of responsibility, and impart basic work skills such as interviewing and working with colleagues.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Work in your neighborhood! Scottsdale has four pools, so one is near you.
- Here is how you get hired!
- Sign up for a lifeguard or swim instructor class to become certified. Certifications are through StarGuard Elite and Starfish Aquatics Institute, taught at a Scottsdale Pool. (Class fees fully reimbursed after 90 days of employement!)
- Sign up for a lifeguard or swim instructor class to become certified. Certifications are through StarGuard Elite and Starfish Aquatics Institute. Obtaining certifications does not guarantee job placement. See classes available and sign up here.
- Fill out an application for the City of Scottsdale.
- Take a skills assessment with the city. The skills assessment formally assesses applicants on water rescue scenarios and CPR scenarios as well as an oral interview.
- Note: Employment is based on skills assessments, facility needs, and applicants availability. Obtaining certifications does not guarantee job placement.
- Lifeguard/Swim Instructor - $14.91/hour
- Head Lifeguard - $16.44/hour
- Assistant Manager - $18.14/hour