The performance management program is an organization-wide initiative to measure, analyze and report on the performance of the services provided by the City of Scottsdale.
Quarterly performance reports
Quarterly reports provide progress updates regarding key performance measures included in the annual budget book. Quarterly updates are also provided on the organization strategic plan (PDF). All reports are in PDF format.
Report to our citizens
The City Manager's Office prepares an annual report to our citizens (PDF) consistent with the AGA's citizen-centric reporting initiative. The short report is intended to give citizens a better understanding of their government and provide a more meaningful debate about fiscal priorities, performance results and future challenges. We have given a presentation (PDF) about our annual report and how it is prepared.
Scottsdale overview and demographics
An overview presentation (PDF) based on the annual budget and annual report is available along with documents on that are included in the annual budget and updated each year.
Budget and Financial Reports
Performance information is included in the annual budget at the division and department level. In addition, ten years worth of data on selected indicators is included in the comprehensive annual financial report. Both documents, as well as an archive of prior year information is available at www.ScottsdaleAZ.gov/finance.
Organization Strategic Planning
The citywide strategic planning effort (PDF) is part of the performance management initiative. The current organization strategic plan was approved at a council meeting in September 2017. Updates on the progress of the organization strategic plan are on the Mission and Priorities page.
Organization Mission Statement
In addition, in December 2013, the City Council adopted a new mission statement for the organization: “Simply better service for a world-class community” The new mission statement is being implemented through citywide internal initiatives. These are: “Simply” - Streamlining the services we provide through process improvement, “Better” - Formalizing our benchmarking efforts to ensure our services are “better,” and “Service” - Reinstating training programs and standards for providing high-quality customer service. In addition, to clarify what is meant by a world-class community, we partnered with graduate students at Thunderbird School of Global Management to formalize the definition and attributes of a world-class community and create citywide customer-focused outcomes and key performance indicators. The final project is available online (PDF)
This 8-hour class was updated in August 2016 to teach how to define results, achieve results, review results and improve results by aligning measures with mission and goals. An abbreviated 3-hour version was presented to the Mandela Washington Fellowship class hosted at Arizona State University in July 2017.
Citizen Survey Results Presentations
These presentations on citizen surveys were prepared for an ICMA workshop (PDF) ICMA workshop in October 2012 on how Scottsdale utilized survey results, and also for general presentations in 2011 on 2010 survey results (PDF). A presentation on internal services survey results was also given at the ICMA Conference in September 2015 (PDF). The 2013 Citizen Survey has been completed with more information available on the survey web page.
Valley Benchmark Cities Report
Scottsdale helped form the Valley Benchmark Cities group, a collaborative of the 11 largest cities in the Phoenix metropolitan area to share and compare information for the purpose of improving local government performance. The initial report was issues in September 2015. A presentation about the effort was given at the September 2015 ICMA Conference in Seattle (PDF), and an article about the effort was included in the December 2015 edition of ICMA's PM magazine.
What is performance management? Performance management is an ongoing, systematic approach intended to improve results by integrating objective evidence with decision-making processes.
The guiding principles of the Scottsdale performance management effort are:
- Aligned with City Council and General Plan mission, goals, priorities
- Results focused. Strategies, processes, and decisions are designed to achieve desired results
- Relevant. Matters to both the city government and the community
- Transparent. Easy for stakeholders to access and understand
- Timely, Accurate and Pertinent. Data drives decisions and processes
- Transformative. Continuously improves the organization, management decisions, and policy-making processes
- Sustainable over time and across organizational changes
- ICMA Center for Performance Analytics participation
- Performance Reporting in the Annual Budget
- Annual "Report to Our Citizens"
- Citizen and employee surveys
- Supports Scottsdale's Employee Values (PDF)
- Annual Action Plan (PDF) for the citywide Performance Management Team
- Performance Management Team Agendas (PDF) from FY 2016-17
- Overview of Scottsdale and Behavioral Insights (PDF) Work
Other external resources helpful in developing an performance management program.
- A Performance Management Framework for State and Local Government, National Performance Management Advisory Commission, 2010.
- Lessons from Performance Measurement Leaders, Shayne Kavanaugh, GFOA, 2013.
- Transforming Performance Measurement for the 21st Century, Harry Hatry, Urban Institute, 2014.
- Surfacing the Submerged State with Operational Transparency in Government Services, Ryan W. Buell, Michael I. Norton, Harvard Business School, 2013.
- Performance Management: Getting Started, Center for Government Excellence.
- Good to Great and the Social Sectors, Jim Collins, 2005.
- Municipal Benchmarks, David N. Ammons, 2012.
- Reinventing Government, Ted Gaebler and David Osborne, 1992.
- The Three Signs of a Miserable Job, Patrick Lencioni, 2007.
ICMA and National Research Center, Inc.
(National Citizen Survey)
Voice of the People Awards for Excellence
Voice of the People Awards for Transformation
ICMA Center for Performance Analytics
Certificate of Excellence in Performance Measurement
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Certificate of Distinction
Certificate of Achievement
Certificate of Excellence in Citizen-Centric Reporting
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Government Finance Officers Association
Distinguished Budget Presentation Award
Special Performance Measures Recognition
FY 2011/12 Adopted Budget Book
Joining Forces: Arizona Cities Collaborate to Improve Performance
Making Strategic Planning Work