Alarm Use Regulations
Alarm Permit Requirement
The Scottsdale City Council adopted an ordinance in 1994 that requires homes and businesses with alarms to obtain an annual permit. The following regulations apply to all alarm users:
- An annual permit must be obtained. The cost is $10 per year.
- Application for an Alarm Permit (PDF) must be made at least seven days after the alarm system becomes operational.
- There is an $50 fee per activation for failing to obtain a permit.
- Service charges are assessed for each alarm activation as follows and will be billed through Business Services:
|7 or more||$200 each|
Collection of these fees provides recovery of city expenses when public safety professionals respond to chargeable alarms.
A written request may be filed with Business Services to review service charge grievances within 30 days of an activation. These charges will be reduced or waived if:
- A valid alarm (police report completed)
- An act of god
- A common-cause alarm (series of concurrent alarm activations usually cause by malfunction)
- A certificate of waiver for attending an alarm awareness class
A newly-installed alarm system is exempt from service charges for activations that occur within the first 30 days after system installation (if the alarm user has obtained the alarm user permit within the time frame specified).
Alarm Permit Cancellations
Alarm Permit cancellations must be received in writing from the permit holder and can be sent via e-mail to: AlarmCTO@scottsdaleaz.gov or via mail:
- City of Scottsdale Alarm Cancellations
- PO Box 1586
- Scottsdale, AZ 85252-1586
Please reference the permit number and effective date of the cancellation.
Alarm User Guidelines
- Use a licensed contractor trained in alarm system installation
- Be sure that family members and authorized users are trained in operating the alarm system. This training, along with instructional materials, should be provided by the licensed contractor installing your equipment.
- Implement and use a regular system maintenance schedule.
- Develop a verification process with your alarm service company.
- Have the system checked by a trained alarm technician when false alarms are generated.
Alarm System General Recommendations
The alarm system you choose should:
- Be Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) approved.
- Have a backup power or battery system that prevents activation in a power outage.
- Have an automatic entry and exit delay system.
- Be designed to allow users to test the system internally for malfunctions.
For more information, call the City of Scottsdale’s Business Services at 480-312-2400.
7447 E Indian School Rd. Suite 110
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. except City Holidays