The city of Scottsdale’s Emergency Manager oversees the city’s preparation for disasters and emergencies and coordinates large-scale emergency responses.
Community Emergency Response Training
Scottsdale’s Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) are citizens who have volunteered to receive basic emergency response skills training so they can better assist their families, friends and neighbors.
The CERT program trains the community in basic disaster prevention and response skills such as disaster preparedness, fire suppression, disaster medical operations, search and rescue, organization and disaster psychology.
This six-week course culminates in a disaster simulation. Classes are hands-on, intensive, and designed to offer students decision making and practical skills needed to safely assist families, neighbors and coworkers in the event of an emergency or disaster.
Become a National Weather Service Storm Spotter
Interested in the Weather?
A free training class provided by the National Weather Service will be held in Scottsdale on May 5, 2018 from 1 – 3 p.m. The class will teach people how to properly identify and report significant weather phenomena and contribute to public safety.
National Weather Service Storm Spotter Class
|Dates:||May 5, 2018|
|Time:||1 - 3 p.m.|
|Location:||City of Scottsdale Mustang Library Auditorium
10101 North 90th Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
HOUSEHOLD AND FAMILY PREPAREDNESS
Prepare your home and be self-sufficient during monsoon storms and other emergencies
While the city of Scottsdale is prepared to respond to the full range of emergency situations, you, your family and your pets should be prepared to go without assistance for several days should a major storm or disaster strike.
Things to consider:
- How will you communicate with your family during an emergency if phone systems don’t work or are overloaded?
- Do you have a designated family meeting place if you are separated?
- What will you do if you have to evacuate your home?
Here are some resources to help you prepare:
- Put together a Basic Emergency Kit (PDF)
- Develop a Family Communication Plan
- Make sure you remember pets
- Know your flood risk
- Stay informed of hazardous weather where you are
- Get all the tips and information you need at Ready.gov
- Register your cell phone for emergency notifications
Seasonal storms can cause flooding in Scottsdale. During these storms, the city may make sand and sandbags available to help residents protect their property.