Scottsdale is an ideal environment to hold a special event due to its inviting weather, abundance of shops and activities, and year-round attractiveness to our many visitors and residents. The City recognizes special events as an important part of Scottsdale’s quality of life and the contribution they make to a sustainable tourism industry.
Special Event User Guide
Most special events represent a major investment of time and money. When well planned and executed, they can bring rewarding dividends to the organizers as well as the City of Scottsdale. Successful events require responsible leadership, careful planning, sensitivity to potential impacts, good organization and follow through, plus the ability to anticipate the unexpected. City staff is available from multiple departments to assist with questions and potential solutions to your specific event planning needs. We encourage you to use the Special Event User Guide as a resource for planning a safe, successful event, along with important procedural items, policies, and contact information.
- Special Event User Guide (PDF) - First edition - effective July 1, 2016
Application & Permit Process
Fees for Events Held on Public Property
Proposed new fee schedule (PDF) - effective July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
The proposed changes include:
- Reducing the on street parking space from $60 per space per day to $30 per space per day.
- Eliminating the venue fee for use of the Marshall Way Bridge and/or Stetson Plaza if trolley remained in use.
- Revising the fee for use of an alley segment to a flat rate of $150 per alley segment per day from .40 per square foot per day.
Fee schedule (PDF) - effective July 1, 2016
Events that propose to use public property as part of the event footprint are required to pay use fees for any events occurring on or after July 1, 2016. Fees will be collected prior to the event at time of permit issuance (once event has been approved).
Updated Special Event Sign Regulations
The updated Special Event Sign Regulations were approved by City Council on March 21, 2017.
There are event spaces located within the Downtown which include the Marshall Way Bridge and Plaza, the Canal Banks area, the Soleri Bridge and Plaza, the Civic Center Mall area, and the Scottsdale Stadium. To inquire about availability, please contact:
Additionally SRP review, approval, and licensing is required for any Downtown events proposed along the canal banks within 65' on either side of the canal.
If interested in receiving updates about received special event applications, review and approval statuses, please subscribe here
Special Event Resources
- Special Event Online Submittal
- Special Event Application Review Timeframes (PDF)
- Special Event User Guide (PDF)
- Search for a Special Event Application
- View Approved Special Event Applications
- View Requested Special Events
- Film Permit Applications (PDF)
- Grand Opening Applications (PDF)
- Seasonal, Sidewalk & Special Vehicle Sales Application (PDF)
- Neighborhood Input Form (PDF)
- Temporary Use of Right-of-Way (PDF)