The Scottsdale Office of Diversity's objective is to ensure that there is fairness in organizational diversity, initiate strategies that intervene in discrimination or prejudice attitudes, and most importantly, to celebrate and educate one another about who we are to promote conscious inclusion. In addition, we develop and sponsor training, services, programs, and events that create work and community environments where differences are valued, respected, and embraced.
Upcoming Diversity Events:
2018 Regional Unity Festival and Walk
Join Scottsdale to "Walk in UNITY with our commUNITY".
When: Saturday, January 27, 2018 starting at 4:30 p.m.
Where: Tempe Beach Park!
Free event - Everyone welcome!
The "Motown Sound" in Scottsdale: A Community Concert
In honor of Black History Month
Featuring the George Howard Band, a 10 piece band from Tucson, AZ
When: Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018
Where: McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park
7301 E. Indian Bend Road, Scottsdale, AZ
Free event - Everyone welcome!
MORE INFO TO COME!
Diversity related video:
"Engaging Scottsdale as a Golden Rule City"
In 2003, the State of Arizona declared itself to be a “Golden Rule State”. The ultimate goal of the “Golden Rule” is that its citizens treat each other the way they would like to be treated; encouraging more kindness, empathy and civility, - helping those in need, and embracing diversity in our community.
Scottsdale is a Golden Rule City and here is a video from our April 28 event:
Our mission and purpose:
City Council Mission Statement: Simply Better Service for a World-Class Community
City Council priority: Reinvest in a high performing organization and work culture
Diversity and inclusion purpose statement: Help the City of Scottsdale become a more diverse workforce, skilled at working inclusively and respectfully and committed to serving our community's diverse needs.
This is achieved through a diversity framework that includes three goals:
- Expand diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Workforce will be skilled at working inclusively and respectfully,
- Demonstrate city's commitment to our community's diverse needs.
Who we are:
The image of the community and the organization is shaped through our interactions and partnerships inside and outside the community. We learn more about one another as we interact in meaningful and productive ways with all members of the community, thus shaping a healthy future in a truly pluralistic society.
The Diversity Manager is accessible both to employees and the general community and is a resource involving discriminatory complaints or concerns.
Services & programs:
- Facilitate Diversity Advisory Committee (DAC) team and their endeavors
- Conduct diversity training and workshops internally and externally
- Serve as a liaison for the Scottsdale Human Relations Commission (SHRC)
- Evaluate complex employee relations matters and make recommendations
- Evaluate citizen complaints and provide appropriate mediation and consultation
- Provide consultation and facilitation to departments to successfully identify diversity priorities within city divisions
- Civil Dialogue Series
- DAC annual employee and community events
- Mayor’s Committee on Employment of People With Disabilities
- Martin Luther King Jr. Community Celebration
- Scottsdale Voices (Scottsdale Video Network) – promoting Civil Dialogue Series
- Regional Unity Walk
The workplace has become more complex, and employee relations is certainly a vital issue as more staff hours are devoted to addressing employee related matters using both collaborative and independent methods.
The City of Scottsdale’s Diversity Office and Human Resources Department provide employees with several options for addressing diversity issues, opportunities for involvement, and a means to hold the organization accountable for responding to concerns. These efforts include investigating complaints involving discrimination and civil liberty issues, as well as designing and facilitating interventions.
Diversity & Inclusion Program Manager
Stanna Michelle Slater
Appointed LGBTQ Liaison to City Executives
Detective Nicole Engstrom