Traffic Signals - Maintenance Information and Contacts
To report a traffic signal problem during normal business hours, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., please call: 480-312-5620
Outside of normal business hours, please call: 480-312-5000
- schedules and coordinates construction and maintenance for both traffic signals and street lights
- purchases all necessary equipment and supplies
- coordinates the construction of new signals at street widening projects with Capital Project Management and outside contractors.
- purchases equipment at a City discount thus eliminating contractor mark-ups
- oversees private contractors to ensure that all projects meet City standards and specifications
The city of Scottsdale is one of the few remaining cities that build their signals from the "ground up." It is estimated that the City saves $20,000 per installation of each new signal by using their own crews. Three construction technicians make up the construction crew.
- build and install new traffic signals
- install underground conduits and loops
- install emergency vehicle detection equipment
- install telephone cable and interconnect wire to new and existing signals
- provide emergency maintenance
Typically private sector contractors are either construction workers or maintenance technicians. Scottsdale's construction crews cross train in both positions resulting in more efficient personnel and cost savings to the city.
The Maintenance Crew consists of four maintenance technicians and one roving assistant.
- perform preventative maintenance for over 260 city-owned traffic signals over 185 square miles
- maintain and paint signal poles
- assist the construction crew as needed
- respond to signal-related emergencies
The Electronic Technician Crew consists of two technicians.
- set-up, test, install and maintain electronics that drive the traffic signal indications, detectors and communications
- provide training to city staff and other signal technicians throughout Arizona through the professional organization, International Municipal Signal Association
City of Scottsdale - Transportation
7447 E. Indian School Rd., Suite 205
Scottsdale, AZ 85251