Scottsdale, Arizona (January 10, 2019)
The pedestrian in last night’s fatal traffic collision has been identified as 88-year-old Scottsdale Resident Jung Son Kim.
Last night at approximately 6:25 p.m. , Scottsdale Police Department Officers responded to a car vs pedestrian traffic collision at 1900 N Scottsdale Rd. The Pedestrian, Kim, was transported to an area hospital where she tragically died as a result of injuries sustained in the collision. The vehicle driver was uninjured and remained on scene fully cooperating with investigators. Through the investigation thus far, it was determined that Kim was crossing east on Scottsdale Road at mid-block when she was struck by the southbound vehicle. Speed and impairment do not appear to be factors in the collision and no charges are anticipated to be issued to the involved driver. The roadway was closed for approximately 4 hours for the on-scene investigation.
Unfortunately, there have been 7 fatal car vs pedestrian collisions in Scottsdale over the last 12 months. With last night’s tragic events fresh in our minds, the Scottsdale Police Department would like to remind everyone to be safe and offer a few tips.
- Use crosswalks when crossing the street.
- When there is no crosswalk present, cross the street at the nearest intersection.
- Wear clothing that is visible to drivers, especially at night.
- Follow all traffic control signs and devices.
- Always utilize the sidewalk, if not available walk facing oncoming traffic.
Scottsdale Police Department Report Number: 19-00616