Monsoons have arrived; learn about sandbags, safety and street restrictions. The city offers a variety of safety tips and resources to help you better prepare. If your property is at risk for flooding, the city offers free sandbags. Both sand and bags are available 24 hours a day for Scottsdale residents on a first-come, first-served, self-serve basis at these locations:
- Parking lot of District 1 Police Headquarters, 7601 E. McKellips Road
- Near the city's north Corporation Yard, 9379 E. San Salvador
- Solid Waste Transfer Station, 8417 E. Union Hills Drive
WestWorld vies against nine countries to host 2022 world championships. WestWorld was recently named the sole U.S. destination among ten international locations being considered to host elements of the Fédération Equestre Internationale World Championships in 2022. The FEI is the international governing body of equestrian sports. Scottsdale’s premier, nationally recognized, multi-use events facility is up against competitors in Denmark, Estonia, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, the Netherlands and the United Arab Emirates
Scottsdale places second in international GIS map competition. The Environmental Systems Research Institute awarded GIS Analyst Mele Koneya second place in the category of "Most Innovative" for his creative map of the Scottsdale McDowell Mountain Preserve. This year’s competition drew 811 entries in 12 categories submitted from around the world.
VIDEO OF THE WEEK
Registration for city classes starts next week. Watch and learn how to register for classes online.
"Slide the Rails," Aug. 3. McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park hosts this new "last splash bash" for families to enjoy before the kiddos head back to school. The event runs from 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 3. Cost is $10 for those 3 and older, free to those younger.
Hula to the Safety Luau, Aug. 3. Learn practical tips on water safety … all while having fun. The program takes place from 4-8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3, at Eldorado Aquatic and Fitness Center. Highlights include games, a mock rescue, and live hula and fire dancers. Regular pool admission fees apply.
Browse the city calendar for more events.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Scottsdale by the numbers:
- Scottsdale leads the Valley in automotive sales. Since 2016 the city has garnered nearly $67 million in revenue from car sales. The city's competitive sales tax rate, quality dealerships and high-end auctions helped drive Scottsdale to the top spot.
- More than 6,500 people are participating in the library's Summer Reading Program.
- Nearly 230 seniors cooled down at two senior center ice cream socials.
- People donated more than 7,500 bottles of water to the library's "Wash Away Fines" campaign. Vista del Camino uses the water for its "hydration station" for those who need heat relief.
- More than 600 students, age 7-17, participated in the city's summer programs. Kids spent time baking food in solar ovens, swimming and learning about the environment.
Public invited to comment on Scottsdale Police Department for accreditation process. The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies will conduct an onsite assessment July 29-Aug. 1. The agency will review the department's policies and procedures, management, operations and support services. As a part of this process, the public is invited to offer comments by: calling 480-312-1985 between 1:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 30, or attending an information session at 4:30 p.m. that same day in the city's Community Design Studio, 7506 E. Indian School Road.
PROGRAMS & SERVICES
Parks and Recreation fall class registration begins Monday. Classes offer affordable prices, experienced instructors, and convenient times and locations. Choose from our wide range of classes. Registration begins at 8 a.m. Monday, July 29, for residents and 8 a.m. Tuesday, July 30, for nonresidents.
Paiute Neighborhood Center hosts open house. Get to know this neighborhood nugget from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at the center, 6535 E. Osborn Road. You'll meet center staff, learn about the Hirsch Academy charter school, get safety information and find out about the various services and programs available.
Popular Services: Brush & Bulk Collection | Passports | Utility Billing