Scottsdale Trolley began a phased return to service Monday, Aug. 3. The first phase includes service from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays only on the 68th/Camelback (68CM), Miller/Hayden (MLHD) and the Mustang (MSTG) routes. Service on the Old Town (OLDT) route remains suspended until further notice.
To help protect the health of trolley riders and operators, the following social distancing protocols and cleaning procedures have been implemented:
- Riders and operators are required to wear face coverings over nose and mouth. The face covering must be worn while on the trolley and at trolley stops. Operators will have a limited supply of face coverings for riders who do not have them. Children under two and riders with medical conditions preventing them from wearing masks are exempt.
- Riders are required to enter and exit the trolley through the rear doors.The standing area behind the operator is blocked off. Riders in mobility devices will still be able to board using the front-door ramp and sit in securement areas.
- Trolleys will be limited to 50% capacity (10 – 15 passengers, depending on the size of the trolley). When trolleys are at capacity, riders may need to wait for the next trolley.
- Riders should maintain six feet of distance from other riders while on the trolley and at trolley stops. If possible, keep an empty row of seats between you and other riders.
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before and after riding the trolley.
- Trolleys will be cleaned a minimum of twice daily. High-touch areas will be wiped down with approved disinfectant, and seats will be sprayed with Lysol during shift changes and at the end of the day. Trolleys will also be cleaned whenever empty at a layover.
- Please stay home when you are sick, and limit trolley use to essential or critical trips.
The cost of the free trolley system is significant, and the city worked to create a modified service plan to best accommodate the competing pressures of transit needs, health concerns and budget constraints.
The decision to hold off on service with the Old Town (OLDT) route was based on declining ridership that began prior to the suspension of trolley service due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Old Town can still be accessed via the 68th/Camelback (68CM) route with stops along Goldwater Boulevard between Indian School and Camelback roads and on Indian School Road between 68th Street and Goldwater Boulevard.
All routes and maps can be viewed at www.ScottsdaleTrolley.com.
Additional regional service remains available on major streets through Valley Metro and Phoenix Transit. Cab Connection, RideShare and Paratransit are also available for qualified individuals throughout the city. For more information on these alternative transportation options, please visit the transit webpage, or contact the Transportation Department at 480-312-7250.