The Phoenix VA Medical Center is offering PTSD 101 for Family and Friends: a Support and Education Workshop for loved ones to learn about PTSD.
This is a free online workshop for friends and family -- veterans themselves do not attend the workshop. Any family member, friend, or significant other (16 years and older) is welcome to attend.
The goals of the workshop are to provide information about PTSD symptoms, PTSD treatment, communication strategies, and how to best support your loved one through their mental health care.
Topics covered will include:
How to attend?
- Development and symptoms of PTSD
- The impact of avoidance
- Effective treatments for PTSD
- How to best support and encourage a Veteran in their health care
- The impact of PTSD on relationships
- Strategies to de-escalate intense emotions
- Self-care and support for loved ones
- Other family resources at the VA and in the community
Please ask a provider for a referral. This will be a virtual workshop. A link to join and other materials will be sent in advance. Providers can alert John Charleson, Ph.D to any interested veterans.