The Pony Express @ Appaloosa is a library self-service model that allows
registered Scottsdale Public Library patrons to use their library cards to enter and use the Appaloosa Library without library staff on the floor.
The Appaloosa Library building has been closed to the public since mid-March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent economic environment. The Appaloosa Library’s drive-thru service has been available;
however the Scottsdale Public Library has sought out creative ways to serve its patrons, and this is its latest innovation.
Registered patrons will be able to access the Appaloosa Library building starting the week of March 15 the following days and times:
- Monday – Thursday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Friday – Saturday from 1 – 5 p.m.
- Sunday – Closed
The Scottsdale Public Library’s website has a comprehensive
FAQ section that provides details regarding the service and what patrons can expect inside the building.
It is important to note that the safety and security of library patrons as well as library assets is paramount. Registered patrons who choose to enter Appaloosa Library will follow specific public health and safety
protocols. Patrons who ignore the protocols will have their access to Appaloosa Library revoked.
The protocols include:
- Face Coverings: All patrons are required to wear face-coverings over their nose and mouth while inside Appaloosa Library.
- Social Distancing: Patrons are to maintain 6 feet of distance between others.
- Hand Sanitation Stations: Hand sanitation stations are located throughout the building.
- Security Cameras: Security cameras will be in use.
- Patron photos linked to accounts: Registered patrons will have their picture taken and linked to their library card account. This will allow library staff to identify who is in the building and
using the service.
- Emergency phone on site: In case of an emergency, there is a well-marked ‘emergency phone’ on the main floor that connects directly to the police department.
- Library Materials: All borrowed materials will be checked out at the self-check machines. If materials are not checked out, an alarm will sound as a patron exits.
For all the details on the Pony Express @ Appaloosa visit: ScottsdaleLibrary.org/services/ponyexpress.
For press inquiries, please contact Kira Peters, Scottsdale Public Library Director at 480-312-2691.