As business owners contemplate having employees work from home or closing in the short term due to COVID-19 precautions, we would like to share some crime prevention tips.
- Confirm that the alarm is functioning and set.
- Check that the alarm company has contact information.
- Ensure that cameras are capturing areas of concern.
- If possible, can they be motion activated and accessed remotely?
- Replace non-functioning bulbs.
- Ensure dark areas are addressed.
- Again, consider motion activation.
High Value Items
- Remove items from visibility.
- Consider further securing them inside the business.
- Consider window coverings that limit visibility to the inside of the business.
Business Closed Signs
- Consider if you want to indicate that the business is closed. If you do, think about adding a "no cash kept on premise" sign and if you have surveillance, add "24-hour Surveillance".
- Will someone be designated to check on the business? If so, do they have all the pertinent contact information?
- Consider private security for prolonged closures.
- Ensure plants are trimmed and do not provide areas of concealment.
- Remove objects like rocks from near the building that could be used to break windows and make entry.
- Watch out for the neighboring businesses.
- Share your plans and confirm their plan.