Review the tips for wildland fire prevention
- Consistently monitor defensible space for maximum fire prevention.
- Remove flash fuels such as dead grass (Do NOT remove live native plants from NAOS).
- Trim trees within the 30-ft defensible space so the canopy is not touching the ground; remove any dead branches or leaves.
- Trim grass and foliage around trees.
- Keep gutters, eaves and roof clear of leaves and other debris.
- Do not stack wood or other flammable materials within the 30-ft defensible space.
- Keep a rolled up garden hose with a nozzle attached to an outside hose valve connection.
- No smoking allowed in NAOS.
Scottsdale has created a brochure that outlines the top eight Invasive Weeds (PDF) identified to exist in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. For a hard copy, please call the Scottsdale Fire Department at 480-312-8000.
Additional tips (for non-NAOS areas):
- Deposit all cigarette butts in proper containers. Never throw a cigarette butt onto the ground.
- When camping, follow local agency rules for campfires. Do not build a fire without making sure open fires are allowed, and always follow fire safety information.
- Add a spark arrester to off-road vehicles and other small internal combustion engines such as generators.