Scottsdale Fire recently promoted six to new positions within the department, including three to Captain and three to Engineer.
“Providing opportunities to grow in the fire service career is vital to our success,” said Scottsdale Fire Chief Tom Shannon. “It is our pleasure to recognize the talent and dedication in these individuals.”
The promotional process includes written and tactical testing and interviews. A list is created from the scoring that allows for promotions as positions become available over a two-year period.
The following are the most recent promotions. The official pinning ceremony will occur Nov. 8 at the annual SFD Awards and Promotions event, to be held at the Scottsdale Museum of the West.
- Engineer James Brinkley: Promote to Captain
- Firefighter David Gonzalez: Promote to Captain
- Engineer Kelly Cavner: Promote to Captain
- Firefighter Cliff Hills: Promote to Engineer
- Firefighter Michael Farrell: Promote to Engineer
- Firefighter Jarrett Stephens: Promote to Engineer
The three captains promoted each have about 20 years in the fire service, 13 of which with Scottsdale Fire. Cavner is Scottsdale’s first female Fire Captain.
“We are proud of the legacy these new officers bring to the table,” Shannon said. “We look forward to their continued success.”