Vista del Camino Park - Repair Lakes and Irrigation
This project will make much needed repairs to the lakes in the Indian Bend Wash between Thomas and McKellips roads. The Indian Bend Wash includes many park amenities such as playgrounds, trails, bicycle routes, fishing lakes, sports fields, disc golf course, skate park and an aquatic center. Many of these activities rely on irrigation water from the lakes, or the lakes themselves.
The lake system is showing signs of aging and failure due to the following:
- Existing vegetation has rooted into the lake puncturing the existing clay liners causing larger than normal water loss from the system.
- The lake edges are eroding causing incompatible conditions adjacent to the multi-use paths.
- The irrigation systems are outdated, undersized and perform inadequately.
- The existing connector channel system between park lakes is open and contains eroded banks, sedimentation, high plant growth and decaying pedestrian bridges.
- The spillway structure located just north of McKellips Road is leaking increasing the water loss from the lake system.
On March 3, 2020, the City Council approved the Indian Bend Wash Municipal Use Master Site Plan, which was developed after extensive public and community input. This project will implement elements of that Master Plan related to the lakes and irrigation.
On November 5, 2019, the City of Scottsdale’s voters approved several bond projects, including Question 2, Project 23: Repair Lakes and Irrigation at Vista del Camino Park in the Indian Bend Wash, which will provide funding for the irrigation improvements.