Hayden and Thomas Intersection Improvements
Construction is complete on a series of modifications to the intersection of Thomas and Hayden roads to improve the safety of the intersection. The improvements took place on Thomas Road only and included construction of raised medians, modified left turn lanes for improved visibility, a dedicated right turn lane, a reduction of access points to the intersection, and pedestrian safety improvements.
Why were the improvements needed at the intersection of Thomas Road and Hayden Road?
The unimproved intersection of Hayden and Thomas roads had a collision rate of more than double the citywide average and has been in the “top 6” for number of collisions citywide for the last 10 years.
|Year||Rank by #||Rank by Rate||# of Collisions||Collision Rate||City Average|
Note that unimproved intersection was:
- Top 6 in number of collisions 2004-2014.
- Highest number of collisions in three of six study years.
- Top three in collision rate in four of six study years.
- Collision rate more than double citywide average.
- 2009 - Listed in the Arizona Top Five Percent in number of collisions.
- 2009 - Ranked 11th in Maricopa County in a report of the top 100 intersections from 2006-2008.
What did the City do to improve the situation?
The purpose of this project was to increase vehicle, pedestrian and bicycle safety by improving traffic control and pedestrian facilities.
Proposed changes included:
- A raised center median along Thomas Road
- Off-set, left-turn striping eastbound and westbound at Hayden Road and Thomas Road
- An improved westbound right-turn lane on Thomas Road
- A new eastbound right turn lane on Thomas Road
- Dedicated bus bays along Thomas Road
A community Open House was held on January 27 at Grace Chapel, 8524 E. Thomas Road, Scottsdale.
Download the materials provided at the open house.(PDF)
Sponsoring Division: Transportation
Funding Source: Transportation Sales Tax, Bond 2000, FHWA Grant
Project Location: Intersection of Hayden and Thomas roads
7447 E. Indian School Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251