Chaparral Park Xeriscape Garden Drainage Improvements
The city of Scottsdale is working to make some necessary drainage improvements at the Scottsdale Xeriscape Garden, located at the northern end of Chaparral Park near the Dog Park and baseball fields .
Stormwater runoff concentrates in the garden area and regularly builds up high enough to spill into the two sunken portions of the garden, which are about 6 feet deep. This runoff and subsequent flooding, causes erosion, sediment build-up and areas of deep standing water for extended periods of time.
The storm drain system in the garden accepts runoff from three significant sources that are all connected to one, undersized 12-inch storm drain, so even a small rain event can result in significant flooding.
The drainage project will include the following improvements:
- Raising spillover elevation and extending gabion walls of the sunken garden areas.
- Storm drain pipe improvements.
- Construct new run-off channels to increase conveyance capacity out of the garden.
- Construct a new sidewalk scupper and channel on the south side of the garden.
Salvageable plants, as identified by a third-party native plant inventory, will be retained or replaced. Non-native trees will be permanently removed.
What to Expect during Construction
- Construction impact:
- This project will require significant earth work and heavy machinery. Regular construction activity will begin at approximately 7 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Early-morning cement pours:
- Temperature and scheduling parameters often require cement work to occur early in the morning. Residents adjacent to the work site will be notified at least 24 hours in advance of concrete pours scheduled to begin before 6 a.m.
- Park access:
- The Chaparral Dog Park will remain open throughout the project. The northern sections of the Xeriscape Garden not impacted by the construction will remain open. Impacts to baseball fields will be coordinated with the City of Scottsdale Parks and Recreation Division.
Construction mobilization will begin in mid September and take approximately three months, with scheduled project completion in early December.
Sponsoring Division: Water
Funding Source: Water rates
Project Location: Xeriscape Garden at Chaparral Park