Every parcel has Zoning Ordinance requirements and restrictions, including distances that buildings/ structures must be “set back” from the property line. Setback requirements for your home will vary depending upon the zoning district (i.e. R1-190, R1-7, etc). A few things to keep in mind:
- Front, side and rear yard setbacks are usually different.
- Corner lots, flag lots and key lots will have special setback requirements.
- Setbacks may be modified through Amended Development Standards.
- Setbacks are usually different for main buildings and accessory buildings.
There are several Zoning Interpretations that help clarify confusing language and ensure consistent application of code requirements.
- by completing the request form below
- by faxing your request to
- by calling the Planning Information Hotline,
- at the One Stop Shop, 7447 E Indian School Road, Suite 105 (or call 480-312-2500)
Development standards typically affect building location, height, distance between buildings, etc. When you complete a setback request, related development standards will be included in the response.
Foothills Overlay PropertIES Not in a Subdivision
Properties located in the Foothills Overlay area have a completely different set of development standards, especially for accessory buildings. Select the guide with the zoning for your lot.
Undeveloped Lot with an ESL Overlay?
An instructional diagram (pdf/49kb/1p) demonstrates how to determine the buildable lot area for properties with the ESL overlay area.