Stormwater Quality Program - Household Hazardous Waste
Many of the cleaning and convenience products used around the house and garage are toxic to the environment when improperly disposed.
Don't pour household chemicals down the sink drain, down the toilet, into the trash or rinse them down the driveway into the gutter. These methods threaten the environment, create safety hazards and pollute the stormwater system.
BMP's for Household Hazardous Wastes:
- Buy non-toxic alternatives instead of traditional household chemicals.
- Buy only the amount needed, not a large container just because it is on sale.
- Use all of the chemical, don't let it get old and unusable.
- If you can't use it, give it to someone else who can.
- Handle, store and use all household products safely.
- Avoid spillage and leaking containers
- Safely store all unwanted household hazardous wastes and dispose of them at the next Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day event.
- As long as you are going to the collection event anyway, volunteer to take your neighbor's waste products too.
- Don't pour these products out on the street.