Auto Theft Prevention
|Did you know...
What are some preventative measures to protect your vehicle?
- Always lock your car and take your keys
- Never leave the vehicle running and unattended
- Never leave a spare set of keys in your vehicle
- Use auto theft deterrents (steering wheel locks and /or alarms)
- Park in well-lit areas and be familiar with your surroundings
- Park in attended lots
- Keep all valuables and packages out of sight
- If you have a garage, use it and lock your car in the garage.
- Park with your wheels sharply toward the curb and put on your parking brake.
- Thieves will often use tow trucks or flatbed trucks to steal your vehicle and this will make it a little more difficult for them.
What are some Anti-Theft Systems and other preventative options?
- Anti-Theft Systems - Including siren or horn alarms, starter disablers, motion
sensors, remote control activation, panic buttons and shock detectors on doors,
windows or trunk lids.
- Steering Wheel Locks – Steering wheel locks are visible from outside the vehicle
and prevent the wheel from being turned more then a few degrees.
- Collars – Collars are devices that wrap around the steering column and prevent the
steering column from being stripped and exposing the starting mechanism.
- Fuel or “Kill” switches - Inexpensive switch inside the vehicle cuts off fuel supply or
“kills” electrical current and must be flipped before vehicle will start. Check if
vehicle’s warranty is affected before installing.
- VIN etching – The vehicle identification number of your vehicle is etched on
windows and / or major parts to make them easier to trace.
- Vehicle Tracking Systems – Hidden transmitters allow stolen vehicle to be tracked
by police or by global positioning satellites.