Where is the full policy located?
- The full policy may be viewed at the Planning and Design Library at the Community Design Studio, 7506 E Indian School Road.
- Copies are availalbe at the city libraries.
What is it?
The Shared Vision report from Scottsdale Visioning is the most recent long term Vision, completed in late 1992 for the community, defining what is/was important to Scottsdale and highlighting themes and tasks to maintain Scottsdale's uniqueness. It was the result of 18 months of citizen driven process.
Where does it apply?
Who needs to use it?
City Council, Planning Commission, City staff, Developers, Citizens
Why was it developed?
It had been about 10 years since any previous Visioning effort had taken place and City Council and the City Manager wanted a citizen driven effort to establish the direction for the city's future.
- The report identified four mutually supportive Dominant Themes which reflect the city's special qualities and are the foundation for our long-term vitality:
- Scottsdale is a Sonoran Desert Community (needs awareness of the growth and development impacts on the environment)
- Scottsdale is a Resort Community (tourism affects our way of life and our economy)
- Scottsdale has a foundation in Arts and Culture (cultural assets are an integral part of the community and a basis for further development)
- Scottsdale has a culture of Health and Wellness (health, biotech, computers, and other high-tech businesses are a natural fit for a diverse community)
- Twenty-four VisionTasks were also developed that relate to the four dominant themes and describe actions that implement the Shared Vision.
- The Shared Vision and its "spin-off" CityShape 2020 were validated through the General Plan update process in 2000 through the citizen participation program called Future in Focus.
- The development of specific General Plan strategies takes into consideration the VisionTask recommendations.
References and related documents:
- City of Scottsdale General Plan (2001)
- Future in Focus Process Summary (2000)
- Scottsdale Shared Vision Report (1992)
- CityShape 2020 Comprehensive Report (1996)
- Scottsdale Town Enrichment Reports (1965-1971)
- Brookings Institute Report (1972)
Download printable Scottsdale Visioning Policy Card (pdf / 541 kb / 1 pg)