Shea Streetscape Design Guidelines
Where is the full policy?
- Shea Blvd Streetscape Guidelines (pdf/765 kb/1p/1994)
What is it?
Specific streetscape design enhancement guidelines for landscape and hardscape for east Shea Boulevard
Where does it apply?
Shea Boulevard east of Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard to City
Boundary at 144th Street.
Who needs to use it?
All participants in the development process including citizens, policy makers, design professionals, and developers for projects that front on Shea Boulevard.
Why was it developed?
City Council directed staff to develop this streetscape guideline to provide a unified image as a follow-up to the 1993 Shea Area Plan. City Council approved the guidelines on January 26, 1994.
- Landscape theme: Native natural desert median and ROW edges. Theme trees include Foothill Palo Verde, Velvet Mesquite, Ironwood, & Saguaro.
- A boulevard symbol was created for identity.
- Art Enhanced city gateway & entry monument proposed.
- Development walls are discouraged. When walls are necessary they should be low with vertical and horizontal undulations, vertical and horizontal openings, niches for plants, and muted desert tones.
- Light pole color scheme using Cicada #5543 Frazee or Mysic Green 8594M Frazee or equal paint.
- Step back of building floors above single story and tall buildings set back further from scenic corridor, major wash, or vista corridor.
- 10' sidewalks should be provided along each side of street, set back from curb as far as possible, gentle meandering, & returning to curb at drives & intersections.
- Maintenance behind each curb is the responsibility of adjacent property owner, the median is city's responsibility
- Scenic Corridor Design Guidelines shall apply in addition to Shea Streetscape Guidelines.
References and related documents:
- Frank Lloyd Wright Streetscape Guidelines
- Via Linda Streetscape Guidelines
- Shea Area Plan (pdf / 124 kb / 10 pgs / 1993)
- Expressway Policy (pdf / 32 kb / 7 pgs / 1995)
- Scenic Corridor Design Guidelines
- City of Scottsdale General Plan
Download printable Shea Streetscape policy card (pdf / 721 kb / 1 pg)