Where is the full policy located?
- Green Building Program
- The full policy may be viewed at the Planning and Design Library at the Community Design Studio, 7506 E Indian School Road.
Green building is a whole systems approach using design and building techniques to minimize environmental impact and reduce the energy consumption of a building while contributing to the health of the building's occupants.
Where does it apply?
The program applies citywide to both residential and commercial projects. Although the program is voluntary, the program has taken a proactive approach by offering incentives such as expedited plan review.
Who needs to use it?
Plan reviewers to ensure qualification and expedited plan review (5-10 days). Building inspectors ensure compliance with program guidelines to meet certification requirements.
Why was it developed?
In 1998, as part of an industry advisory committee, the program was established as Arizona's first Green Building Program as a means to mitigate the negative impacts of building and development on the environment.
- Encourages environmentally responsible building in the Sonoran desert region by incorporating healthy, resource- and energy-efficient materials and methods in the design and construction of Scottsdale homes.
- The program is strictly voluntary and uses incentives, such as priority plan review, a green building directory and job site signs to entice builder participation.
- A checklist rates projects in the areas of site, energy, building materials, indoor air quality, water and solid waste.
- Coordination among planning, building, engineering, permits and inspections divisions facilitates program compliance. Includes regular inspection per the contracted checklist items.
- Provides a Green Building Certificate and Homeowners' Guide upon project completion.
- Offers an alternative to home buyers for sustainable living and the long-term advantages of owning an environmentally sound home.
- There are over 150 points available. A project owner is required to comply with 26 mandatory points and can achieve entry level status with an additional 26 points from the rating worksheet or advanced level status with an additional 56 points from the rating worksheet.
- A multitude of workshops, lectures and public events about Green Building are designed to educate and promote the benefits of an environmentally responsible lifestyle.
Download printable Green Building Policy Card (pdf / 702 kb / 1 pg)