FISCALS Analysis Tool
Where is the full policy located?
- The master copy of FISCALS resides in the Planning and Design Library at the Community Design Studio, 7506 E Indian School Road.
What is it?
FISCALS is an electronic spreadsheet model developed for the City of Scottsdale in 1995 by Tischler and Associates, a consulting firm of fiscal, economic, and market analysts. The model provides projection, analysis, and evaluation of the fiscal impact of growth and development on a year-by-year demand base over a period of 20 years.
Developed in 1995
Where does it apply?
Citywide and by each of the City's five planning zones.
Who needs to use it?
City staff and departments can use FISCALS as a tool in preparing individual operating and capital facilities development plans.
City Council, Boards and Commissions.
Why was it developed?
FISCALS was commissioned to help the City determine whether growth in Scottsdale was "paying for itself", and to allow the city to analyze growth and development costs and benefits.
- FISCALS is designed to:
- Provide comprehensive information on the fiscal impact of development on all Citywide operating and capital facilities demands.
- Project annual growth in housing, population, employment, and employment construction over a 20-year period.
- Project net and cumulative net revenues from future land development.
- Enable comparative and isolated analyses of alternative growth policies, scenarios, and development proposals for the entire City as well as by each of the City's five Planning Zones.
- FISCALS enables rapid data manipulation for comparative analyses of alternative scenarios involving varying growth policies, service levels, funding methods, cost, and rate structures.
- The better the information maintained in FISCALS, the better the model projects needs.
- The conclusion of the Tischler study in 1995 was that growth does pay for itself through:
- combined permit and development fees
- increased sales and property taxes
- high valuation of new construction
- development exactions
References and related documents:
- City of Scottsdale General Plan (2001)
- Land Use Impact Model
- Demographic Databases
Download printable Fiscals Policy Card (pdf / 240 kb / 1 pg)