Demographics Policy Card
Where is the full policy located?
- Demographic and Economic Reports
- Quarterly Growth Profiles
- Population Projections to 2020 Buildout (pdf/49kb/1p)
What is it?
Demographics is a generic term that applies to highly-specific data collected by the US Bureau of Census at the beginning of each decade (population and housing) and in the 8th year of each decade (economic data). The data collected involves the physical-sociological-economic makeup of the population, housing, and employment found in all geographic areas of the United States and its territories.
Where does it apply?
The smallest geographic area for which demographic data are collected and applied is the Census Block, typically, corresponding to individual city blocks bounded by streets. Block data are aggregated up to larger geographic units covering Block Groups, Census Tracts, County, State, Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area, and others. Demographic data form the statistical building blocks of community. The most manageable geography for census data is the Census Tract, 48 of which compile the whole of Scottsdale's municipal area. These 48 tracts contain a total of 2,363 individual Census Blocks.
Who needs to use it?
Public and private sector agencies, businesses, and non-profit organizations
Why was it developed?
Census data has been compiled and tabulated to provide a central, accessible resource that would serve most of the many relevant data inquiries made on a daily basis.
- The data are easy to access and arrayed in simple, understandable and printable formats.
- The content is updated on a consistent basis.
- A Census Tract Key Map and a Planning Zones Map are included for easy geographic reference.
- U.S. Census Bureau Internet links are provided for users seeking more detailed data sets.
References and related documents:
- City of Scottsdale General Plan (2001)
- FISCALS (Fiscal Impact of Development model)
- Land Use Impact Model
- Demographic Databases
- Maricopa Association of Government's Population/Employment Models
Download printable Demographics policy card (pdf/233kb/1p)