> Home > Passport Services > Children's Passport Information

Children's Passport Information

For complete information regarding passports for children, please visit the U.S. Department of State's website.

Along with the proof of citizenship, photos, and payment of fees; applications for child passports have additional requirements. 

  In addition to the requirements below, child passport renewals, applicants under age 16 will be required to submit a certified birth certificate AND their previous passport.

  • The child must be present.
  • Be prepared to submit a social security number for the child.
  • For children under age 16:
    • Parental identification must be provided.
    • Parental Application Permission Documentation:

      Both parents must appear together and sign. (Public Law 106-113, Sec. 236)


      One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized  Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16


      One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or

Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or

Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or

Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or

Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or

Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16


A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 14 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

  • To obtain a passport for a child born in the United States to alien parents, and to establish his/her citizenship it may be necessary to request the parents(s) alien registration card ("green card") and/or their foreign passport that was valid at the time of the child's birth.
  • Anyone under the age of 18 applying for a passport for the first time or renewing a passport must apply in person.