Kitchen fires are a recipe for disaster.
- Stay with your food. Unattended cooking was a factor in 34% of reported home cooking fires.
- Keep items away from cooking area. Two-thirds of home cooking fires started with ignition of food or other cooking materials.
- Know where the fires start. Ranges accounted for the 58% of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
- Where burns happen: Microwave ovens are one of the leading home products associated with scald burn injuries not related to fires. Nearly half (44%) of the microwave oven injuries seen at emergency rooms in 2011 were scald burns.
- Although clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of home cooking fires, these incidents accounted for 16% of the cooking fire deaths.
- Children under five face a higher risk of non-fire burns associated with cooking than being burned in a cooking fire.
Where are Your Best Friends?
Make sure you these best buddies are around and working when you are cooking: