Fire Station 1
Fire Station 1 provides emergency response coverage to south Scottsdale. This dense, urban environment includes 14 schools, several hundred businesses and many non-sprinkled residences. Fire Station 1 also has the highest number of emergency calls in the city. The relocation of Station 1 from its original location at Miller and Thomas helps the fire department reach residents when they need us the most.
While the location of the fire station was considered for response time, the design of the fire station integrated into the park and the neighborhood. Additionally, the new building was designed with community input on potential other uses for the fire station. This included a community room allowing residents and Scottsdale clubs and organizations to schedule meetings and events.
Public Art Component
Scottsdale Public Art dedicated a new sculpture in the park near Eldorado Park Fire Station 1 (1901 N. Miller Road), as part of the city’s commitment to public art. Artist Ilan Averbuch developed the concept of the sculpture after visiting the site, learning about the story of Eldorado Park from the community, and meeting with city staff.
The sculpture, fashioned in Cor-ten steel and recycled stone, abstractly evokes a firefighter’s bell or trumpet in two funnel forms, one erect and one lying on its side, in grounded monumentality. The point of the resting funnel is atop a line of tapered stones. Details for discovery include a passive rainwater harvesting feature that reflects the manner in which rain appears sporadically in the desert and pools in the greenbelt. The audience for this new public artwork includes pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists on Miller Road, area residents, fire personnel, visitors to Eldorado Park, and tourists.