> Home > Scottsdale Fire: We Care For You. > About Us > Scottsdale Incidents

Scottsdale Incidents


Date Incident
November 24, 2012

Scottsdale Fire Department and Phoenix Fire Department responded to a 911 call at 9:45am this morning, for a 62 year old male who might have had a stroke with secondary injuries sustained from a fall. 

The patient was approximately 1 mile in from the Tom’s Thumb trail head, which is one area of the 27,000 acres of the Scottsdale McDowell Sonoran Preserve. GPS coordinates from a cell phone were used to locate the patient. Scottsdale Fire Technical Rescue personal along with Phoenix Fire, and Firebird 10 flew to the patient location. Firebird 10 is a helicopter, used as a regional resource, utilized by valley fire departments for search and rescue.

The patient was located and packaged for extraction off the mountain. Once off the mountain, patient was transported by Scottsdale Fire Department personnel to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn for further evaluation and treatment. 

When hiking in the Scottsdale Preserve or anywhere in Arizona, make sure you hike with a buddy. Tell someone where you are going and how long you will be gone. Bring a cell phone in case there is an emergency. Dress appropriately with layers of clothing. For this time of year in the desert around the valley, it can be warm during the day, but temperatures drop at night. Make sure when hiking, bring plenty of water.

There were 14 fire personnel utilized with no firefighter injuries.

November 15, 2012

Scottsdale fire crews responded to gas leak on East Via Linda and 101 St Thursday, Nov. 15. The incident was upgraded to a working Hazard Materials (HazMat) call.

Crews on scene secured immediate area and began evacuation of structures adjacent to the leak. Southwest Gas determined that leak originated from a break to an underground natural gas line.

Scottsdale Fire crews assisted Southwest Gas in securing the leak and the monitoring of immediate and subsequent areas.

Approximately 75 to 85 persons were evacuated, there were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.