Scottsdale Fire: We Care For You.
Are you planning to use a turkey fryer for the holidays?
Many families choose to prepare their holiday turkeys by deep frying. However, if you don't take precautions, you may end up with an injury or fire. Deep Fryers can be dangerous because:
- Many units easily tip over, spilling the five gallons of hot oil within the cooking pot.
- If the cooking pot is overfilled with oil, the oil may spill out of the unit when the turkey is placed into the cooking pot. Oil may hit the burner/flames causing a fire to engulf the entire unit.
- Partially frozen turkeys placed into the fryer can cause a spillover effect. This too, may result in an extensive fire.
- With no thermostat controls, the units also have the potential to overheat the oil to the point of combustion.
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid and pot handles get dangerously hot, posing severe burn hazards.
Check out these tips to protect you from burns and potential flashover.
Holiday toy drive gears up; bring gifts to fire stations, headquarters
Every year Scottsdale residents generously donate new toys, bikes and other gifts so all children and youth can have an enjoyable holiday. This year, donations can be dropped off at all of our fire stations and Fire/Police Headquarters from Nov. 28 through Dec. 24.
All New gifts will be appreciated. Remember our teens! Gift cards work great for them. Also, plan to come to our Ride for Toys event Dec. 13!
Get details about Ride for Toys and learn more about the wishlist here.
It's that time of year: Flu Season!Avoid the flu with some simple tips here.
Also, visit the CDC Flu tracker to see how the flu is affecting people across the country!
Join Our email listWe send out emails with wellness, safety and event information.
Click here to join.