- Call 911
- If you see or smell smoke, warn others and activate the fire alarm.
- Before opening a door, feel it quickly with the back of your hand. If it's hot, find another exit. If it's cool, kneel down and check the air coming in from under. If it's cool, the room may be safe to enter. Kneel behind the door, open it a little with your face turned away. Listen and smell for fire or smoke.
- If items are falling off bookshelves or from the ceiling, get under a sturdy table or desk.
- Get out of the building as quickly and calmly as possible.
- If safe, close all windows and doors behind as you leave.
- Crawl low under smoke to escape
- Use the stairs, not elevators
- Do not go back into a burning building