July's Environmental Quality is Composting
Eco says: Did you know? Over 30% of the trash that we generate could be composted. Compost can replace fertilizer and it's free!
Purchase a backyard composter Call Solid Waste (480) 312-5600.
Check Out Eco's Composting Tips!
- Yard clippings are a valuable resource just like aluminum.
- A well cared for compost pile will not have a smell or attract bugs
- Expensive bins are not necessary. A compost pile will work nicely
- The composting process takes as little as one month.
What are the benefits?
- Compost reduces the use of natural gas used in the manufacture of ammonia-type fertilizers. (Approximately 2% of the natural gas used in the U.S.)
- Compost helps to neutralize toxins. Most contemporary insecticides, herbicides and fungicides are all broken down in the composting process.
- Compost can hold almost twice its weight in water allowing well composted soils to hold moisture to help prevent plant dehydration in times of drought and helps with water conservation.
- Compost can help to stretch the growing season by making the soil darker and allowing vegetables to be grown earlier and later into the year.
"We must realize that we can no longer throw away because there is no AWAY." William T. Cahill