5th Avenue Shops
Spending a day along Scottsdale's 5th Avenue will give residents and visitors access to shops, boutiques, cafes, galleries, jewelry, salons, restaurants and nightlife.
In 1950, artist Lloyd Kiva New, his wife Betty New, and West Segner purchased a two acre alfalfa field, built a road and named it 5th Avenue. By 1955, a completed complex on 5th Avenue, named "The Kiva Shops" was one of the first and more renowned of the "demonstration studios" that populated Scottsdale and was a focal point of the time. This complex of seven buildings is where artists, including Lloyd Kiva New, created, displayed and sold their works. Gaining historic status in 2006, the Kiva Center is recognized for its historic significance. It is noted for its involvement in Scottsdale's development as an artistic community and for its modern western design that other downtown businesses used in the 1950's. Today the studios continue to house retails shops, services and a courtyard restaurant.
Visit www.virtual5thavenue.com for a virtual tour of Scottsdale's 5th Avenue.