Constitution ContestA message from Mayor W.J. "Jim" Lane
Dear Scottsdale Students,
On September 17, 1787, the United States Constitution was signed by thirty nine men who bravely changed the course of history. I invite you to participate in my Constitution Day Essay Contest in celebration of this momentous occasion, and to promote a good understanding and appreciation of our nation’s finest document.
Best of luck to you all,
W.J. “Jim” Lane
Mayor of Scottsdale
Mayor's Constitution Day Contest
- All essays and art must be original work of the student.
- Essays may be typed or hand written and art may be in any medium.
- Winners must live in Scottsdale or attend a Scottsdale school.
- The essay or artwork must include the child’s:
- Phone number
- Title of essay or artwork
- All submissions will be property of the city and may not returned. Winning submissions may be displayed in City Hall.
- Entries must be submitted, mailed or postmarked on or before Sept. 17.
- Entries must be submitted at any Scottsdale Public Library information desk, at Scottsdale City Hall, or electronically to Rachel Smetana in the mayor’s office (email@example.com) by 5 p.m. on September 17, 2013.
- Each category will be judged separately by a panel of judges.
- The message about the Constitution should be clear.
- All contest rules must be followed.
- GRADES 1-5
Illustrate in any medium or write an essay up to 300 words on the topic “What the Bill of Rights means to me.” The category Grand Prize Winner will receive a $100 gift certificate to Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- GRADES 6-8
Illustrate in any medium or write an essay of at least 500 words on the topic “How the Constitution protects American freedoms.” The category Grand Prize Winner will receive a $150 gift certificate to Scottsdale Fashion Square.
- GRADES 9-12
Illustrate in any medium or write an essay of at least 1,000 words on the topic “What element or elements of the Constitution is/are most critical in protecting freedoms in the United States.” The category Grand Prize Winner will receive a $250 gift certificate to Scottsdale Fashion Square.
All entrants and their families are invited to an awards reception with Mayor Lane at 5:30 p.m. on September 26, 2013 at City Hall (3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd.).
If you have additional questions or need additional information regarding the contest, please contact Rachel Smetana, firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-312-7977.