> Home > Codes and Ordinances > Fences and Walls > Increase Height of Existing Wall

Increase Height of Existing Wall

Note: Proposed wall height shall not exceed the maximum allowable height permitted by the zoning regulations. A plan review and permit is required and may require the applicant to provide structural calculations to supplement new construction details.

Steps to obtain a permit:

  1. An Arizona license engineer/architect must submit an assessment of the as-built construction as well as proposed improvement plan to the City of Scottsdale One Stop Shop, on the first floor of One Civic Center, 7447 E. Indian School Rd. The assessment must be sealed by the engineer/architect prior to submittal. All applicable plan review and permit fees will be assessed at the standard rate.
  2. The engineer/architect's assessment and proposed improvement plan will then be reviewed by the City's Engineering Review staff for compliance with city code, permit and ordinance requirements. All walls exceeding 6' in height require structural engineering calcs.
  3. Once the Engineering Review staff approves the engineer/architect's assessment, obtain a fence/wall permit from the One Stop Shop
  4. Issuance of the fence/wall permit requires an inspection by the City's Inspection Services division (schedule an inspection by calling 480-312-5750).
  5. If Inspection Services confirms the fence/wall is in compliance with the engineer/architect's assessment and approved plans, the permit will then be finalled .

Permit Processing:

  • One Stop Shop: 7447 E. Indian School Rd., 480-312-2500
For your reference, the Scottsdale Revised Code regarding work done without a permit reads as follows:

Whenever any work for which a permit is required by this code has been commenced without first obtaining said permit, plans and specifications shall be submitted for review before a permit may be issued for such work.

It is the responsibility of the owner to have an independent assessment of as-built construction conducted by an Arizona licensed engineer or architect to determine compliance with city code, permit and ordinance requirements.