Grand Opening Banners
Sign ordinance related information may be obtained from the City of Scottsdale One Stop Shop, located on the first floor of One Civic Center, 7447 E. Indian School Road, Suite 105, by calling 480-312-7000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning & Development Services staff may issue permits for grand openings banners for business identification while waiting for permanent signage installation. The following examples of temporary signs are not allowed and no permit exists for these types of signs:
- Street banners.
- Wind sail banners.
- Banners not advertising a grand opening.
- Balloons or other inflatable advertising products.
- Portable "A" frame signs (sandwich signs).
- Pennants, streamers, or other similar devices.
- Gobo (lighting) signs projected onto any structure or surface.
A. General Requirements for GRAND OPENING BANNERS
Grand openings are considered the introduction, promotion or announcement of a new business, or the announcement, introduction or promotion of an established business changing ownership.
All grand opening banners require a sign permit prior to any installation or display. The permit fee for a grand opening banner permit (subject to change every July) can be found here: Miscellaneous Building Permit Fees (PDF/95kb/1p)
- Grand opening banners must predominately display the words “Grand Opening” or “Now Open” within the banner text. Business names, logos and additional text may be included.
- Grand opening banners may be displayed for a period not to exceed thirty (30) calendar days from the date of permit issuance. The day the grand opening banner permit is pulled is when the 30-day time frame begins.
- Extensions are not allowed.
- The maximum number of grand opening banners allowed for each business shall be one (1) sign.
- The size of the banner is based on the underlying zoning district's sign size requirement (typically 1 square feet of banner for every 1 feet of the tenant's suite frontage length (ex: 30' frontage = 30 square feet banner). Certain zoning districts such as C-O and S-R have more restrictive size requirements.
- Grand opening banners cannot encroach into the public right-of-way or the traffic visibility zone at street corners or driveways.
- Grand opening banner permits shall only be issued once for the lifetime of the business under the same ownership.
- Grand opening banners are subject to the following safety standards:
- Shall be securely fastened to a solid structure/building frontage.
- Shall not project above the roofline.
- Shall be vented to ensure they will withstand wind pressure from any direction applied to the projected exposed area.
- Grand opening banners should never be placed near power lines.
B. submittal requirements for grand opening banner permits
A grand opening banner permit may be obtained at the One Stop Shop, located on the first floor of One Civic Center, 7447 E. Indian School Road, Suite 105. Please provide the following when applying for a grand opening banner permit:
- A drawing which will include the words, logos, color, material and size of the banner.
- A photo and aerial/site plan of the location where the banner will be placed.
- City of Scottsdale Business License if required by Tax & License Department. Call Tax & License to verify if your use requires a business license: 480-312-2400.
- Property owner/business owner phone number and address so that if necessary, city code inspectors can reach a contact who can address any issues or concerns.
- Completed Grand Opening Banner Application (PDF/77kb/1p)