> Home > Building Resource Center > Permit Services - One Stop Shop > Special Events > Obtaining a Liquor Permit for a Special Event

Obtaining a Liquor Permit for a Special Event

There are two options for obtaining a liquor license to sell or serve alcohol at a special event:

  1. Request a temporary extension of premises for an existing establishment (within the event footprint) that is already licensed to sell alcohol.

    A permit is required by the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses & Control in order to temporarily expand or enlarge the area which is covered by a current liquor license. This permit is reviewed by the City of Scottsdale and a recommendation is made to the State. Provide a copy of your completed application with the Scottsdale Special Event Permit Application.

    The temporary extension of premises application is available at the Development Services Offices, 7447 E Indian School Rd, Ste 100, or at the Arizona Dept of Liquor Licenses and Control, 800 W. Washington 5th Floor, Phoenix or on line at http://www.azliquor.gov/forms/inv_extprem_access.pdf.

  2. Obtain a special event liquor license -- Events where liquor will be sold or furnished are required to submit a special event liquor license application to the City a minimum of 21 days prior to the event.

    Special Event liquor licenses are only available to qualified charitable, civic, fraternal, political party/campaign committees, or religious organizations. Special Event Liquor Applications can be obtained on line or by calling 480-312-2400.

    Completed applications must be submitted to the Tax & License Registration office located at 7447 E. Indian School Rd., Suite 110 (480-312-2400).

    This license requires that 25% of gross event proceeds be donated to the event charity. A charity can submit for this license a maximum of 10 (ten) days per year.


Need Help? 

Special Event Questions
Tourism & Events - Nicole Curtis

Event Development Questions
Tourism & Events - Cheryl Sumners


Event Race Route Questions
Police - Sgt. Wesley Shaffer


Barricade Plan Questions
Transportation - Walt Brodzinski


Tent or Fire Code Questions
Fire Department - Kerry Swick


Refuse Services
Solid Waste - Jim Spahn


Permitting Questions
Nicole Curtis