It is the City’s goal to permit events that are safe and minimize adverse impacts to the quality of life for Scottsdale residents and business owners.
Special Event Application (pdf/244kb)Serving Liquor at a Special Events
What are Special Events?
Special Events are temporary outdoor uses which extend beyond the normal uses and standards allowed by the Zoning Ordinance. Types of events include, but are not limited to: walks, runs, cycling and sporting events, musical performances, culinary and art festivals, street festivals, parades, tours, automobile auctions, and community celebrations.
The Special Events Committee reviews applications and approves Special Event permits. The Committee's goal is to permit events, which are safe and do not adversely impact area residents and businesses. The committee contains staff representatives from various departments including Tourism & Events, Transportation, Police, Fire, Code Enforcement and Community Services.
The permit process consists of two steps:
- Submit a Special Event Application (pdf/244kb) at the City's Development Services department located at 7447 E. Indian School Road, Ste. 100. The application review fee will be required as part of the submittal. Once a complete application is submitted, it will automatically be scheduled for Committee review. The Special Event Committee meets every Wednesday morning between 9am-11am. The applicant will be provided with a scheduled time to come discuss the event request with the Committee to answer any questions and determine if any changes are required. If all information is known, a decision on the event will be made at the meeting for approval, conditional approval, or denial of the event request.
- Once approved and all required items and documents have been received by City staff (insurance, barricade plan, revised site plan, property owner approval, etc.) then the permit is ready to be issued and the applicant will be notified by the Tourism & Events staff indicating the permit is ready to be picked up. Permits must be obtained prior to the event. Payment for the special event permit will be collected at time of permit issuance. Permits are issued at the Development Services department located at 7447 E. Indian School Road.
The City of Scottsdale is accepting applications proposing Super Bowl related special events. Please note that public venues and streets are not first come-first serve. Applications will be reviewed equally and events will be approved based on what makes the most sense from a programming, traffic, and public safety perspective.
- Fire/Safety Applications - (Tent Permits, Fireworks, Bonfire)
- Film Permit Applications
- Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way - (Downtown Parking Spaces) (pdf/141kb/1p)
- Tent/Sidewalk Sale Application (pdf/70kb/2pp)
Tourism Event Support
For questions regarding the Tourism Event Funding Programs please call the Tourism and Events Department at 480-312-2728.
There are event spaces located within the Downtown which include the Marshall Way Bridge and Plaza, the Waterfront/Canal Banks, the Soleri Bridge and Plaza, the Civic Center Mall area, and the Scottsdale Stadium. To inquire about availability, please contact:
Bridge, Waterfront, or Plaza - Ben Moriarity, Downtown Specialist, 480-312-2459, email@example.com
Civic Center Mall - Andrea Anderson, Facilities Rental Manager, 480-874-4604, AndreaA@sccarts.org
Scottsdale Stadium - Stephanie Tippett, Asst. Stadium Coordinator, 480-312-2856, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additionally SRP review and approval is required for any Downtown events proposed for the following areas:
- Marshall Way or Soleri Bridge
- Property within 65' of the SRP canal (SRP owns this buffer area on either side of the canal)
Refer to: SRP permit information
Other Event Venues
The following is a list of locations that have been popular in the past, but Special Events are not limited to these locations.
- City Parks - Contact Facility Booking at 480-312-7707 prior to submitting your Special Event Permit Pre-Application. A Special Event Permit is not required unless your event extends beyond the park.
- Civic Center Mall - The Mall area is managed by the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. For reservation information, call 480-874-4607 or go to http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/parks/ScottsdaleMall.
- Scottsdale Stadium - Contact Scottsdale Stadium at 480-312-2586. For reservation information, go to http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/stadium/reservations. A Special Event Permit is not required unless your event extends beyond the Stadium.
- WestWorld - Contact the WestWorld Event Booking and Contract Coordinator at 480-312-6806. A Special Event Permit is not required for WestWorld events.
- Shopping Centers (and similar tenant properties) - Written approval is required from the landowner, management company, and/or other controlling entity and must be included with the Special Event Permit Application.
Event Application Coordination
Temporary Liquor License Extensions
Special Event Committee Chair