> Home > Building Resource Center > Inspection Services > Frequently Asked Questions > Encroachment Permit Questions

Encroachment Permit Questions

What is the purpose of an Encroachment permit?

This is a permit issued for the use of a portion of Right-of-way within the City of Scottsdale. Right-of-Way is defined as a piece of land where highways, roads, and utilities are placed. All proposed work in dedicated Right-of-Ways and Easements is to be submitted in plan form to be reviewed and approved by City staff prior to any issuance of a permit.

What type of work requires a Right-of-Way Encroachment permit?

Water, Sewer, Paving, Concrete, Drainage, Grading, Landscape and Utilities.

Is there anything that needs to be done after getting my permit?

To schedule an inspection, call the Inspection Services Voice Response System at 480-312-5796 or by calling the Inspection Services office at: 480-312-5750 during working hours.

Follow the menu on the phone. You will need to have a permit # which starts with the letter “C”. You will only have to enter the five numbers.

Each permit requires a Pre-Construction meeting with a Public Works Inspector ( referred to as a “100” Inspection ). Our request is that you contact the Public Works Inspector prior to scheduling your Pre-Construction Meeting (#100) if you have not already heard from them through the reviewing process.

Please note, if you have a sub-contractor(s) working on your project, have them present at your pre-construction meeting with a copy of contact information incase of any emergencies.

The inspector will then work with you throughout your project until its completion (and in some cases through a warranty period). In taking out a permit you are required to meet certain standards. The City of Scottsdale enforces the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) Specifications and Details Maricopa Recorder'sleavingcos.gif (340 bytes). The City of Scottsdale Supplement to the MAG Specifications and Details are available at the One Stop Shop Counter or online at: http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Design/COSMAGSupp/Default.asp and city of Scottsdale Design Standards and Policy Manual (available at the One Stop Shop Counter and online at Design Standards and Policy Manual and the City of Phoenix approved Barricade Manual (available through the City of Phoenix).

What are the different codes for the varying types of work?

101 Water
201 Sewer
301 Paving
401 Concrete
501 Drainage
601 Grading
701 Landscape
801 Utilities
901 Miscellaneous (jobs such as Clear & Grub, Warranty Inspections,
Traffic Signals, and Special Event Traffic Control)

Does an Encroachment Permit impact other types of permits?

Yes. Failure to conform to standards could impact other permits such as Building permits. For example, building inspections could be stopped until the work has been inspected by a Public Works Inspector and has met the Standards the City follows. Any Building permit associated with a Right-of-Way Encroachment permit cannot be finaled until the work in the Right-of-Way has been completed, inspected, and finaled.

Need Help? 

Planning and Development Services
P & D Online


Long Range Planning Department
Long Range Planning


Current Planning Department
Current Planning


Development Services Department / One Stop Shop
One Stop Shop Online


Neighborhood Resources Department
Neighorhood Resources


Plan Review
Plan Review Info


Inspections Info


Records, Research & Reports