Current Aeronautical and Noise Events
This page provides citizens and customers timely updates on noise abatement, noise compatibility planning, and other aeronautical issues.
Scottsdale Airport “Fly Neighborly" Program – ongoing noise abatement, pilot communication and community outreach efforts:
- Noise complaint data is collected to track trends and identify problem areas.
- Updated noise abatement information displays and Pilot Guides are provided to pilots using Scottsdale Airport (SDL).
- Promote the Federal Aviation Administration SDL control tower Helicopter Letter of Agreement (LOA) and arrival and departure maps on June 1, 2004.
- Promote the Helicopter Pilot Guide (pdf/1.2mb/2pp) and noise abatement procedures to helicopter operators throughout Arizona and as requested in some surrounding areas.
- Pilot "Good Neighbor" Pledge program to document pilot support and compliance with Scottsdale Airport's voluntary noise abatement procedures.
- Promote the voluntary curfew of 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m.
- Present to regional flight schools and other airspace users to discuss safety, pilot education and noise abatement efforts.
- Continue homeowner outreach for dissemination of current airport issues information.
- Realtor outreach program helps educate realtors and potential homebuyers on Scottsdale Airport operations and the dynamics of air space in the community.
Scottsdale Airport Noise Compatibility Plan Update
(14 CFR Part 150 Study)
The 2005 Noise Compatibility Plan updates the 1997 Plan, and included a public process that evaluated current and future aircraft noise influences, and proposed potential new solutions to reduce aircraft noise; and updated noise contours were also developed under this study. Funding for this Study was approximately $300,000 (90% Federal, 5% State and 5% City funds (from Airport user fees). Public workshops were held on October 31, 2003, March 31, 2004, August 5, 2004, and October 26, 2004. Coffman Associates presented an overview of the Study during a work-study session of the Airport Advisory Commission on November 17, 2004. The Public Hearing was held on the AIRPORT NOISE AND LAND USE COMPATIBILITY PLAN UPDATE based on the requirements and guidelines of Title 14 of the Code Federal Regulations Part 150 for Scottsdale Airport on Thursday, Jan. 27, 2005.
The Scottsdale City Council approved the Noise Compatibility Plan Update with a 4 to 3 vote on Tuesday, April 19, 2005. The results of the update were forwarded to the FAA for final approval.
A copy of the AIRPORT NOISE AND LAND USE COMPATIBILITY PLAN UPDATE can be viewed at the following locations at www.ScottsdaleAirport.com/Part150/.
15000 N. Airport Drive, 2nd Floor, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480-312-2321 480-312-8480 Fax
(Located at Butherus Drive and North Airport Drive) see map