The Scottsdale Police Department will automatically disqualify any individual who has:
- Ever been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona.
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
- Been previously denied certified status, have certified status revoked or have current certified status suspended.
- Illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale marijuana or dangerous drugs/narcotics.
- Illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
- Illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation. Experimentation is defined as not exceeding a total of 20 times lifetime or exceeding five times, since attaining the age of 21.
- Ever illegally used marijuana, dangerous drugs / narcotics while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
- Illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years.
- Ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than for experimentation. Experimentation is defined as not exceeding a total of 5 times lifetime or exceeding one time, since attaining the age of 21. This includes, but is not limited to, cocaine/crack, heroin, opium, morphine, LSD/acid, methamphetamine/speed, peyote, mescaline, or derivatives thereof.
- Have a pattern of abusing prescription medication.
- Had excessive traffic violations within the past three years.
- Committed or violated federal, state, or city laws pertaining to criminal activity while employed by a law enforcement agency.
- Been previously employed with a law enforcement agency and since has committed or violated federal, state, or city laws pertaining to criminal activity.
- Lied during any stage of Scottsdale Police Department’s hiring process, falsified any information on the application or background questionnaire.
- Use of non-prescription steroids since Jan.1, 1994, shall fall under the same restrictions as item # 3 above.
- Conviction of a domestic violence crime, misdemeanor or felony or conviction of a lesser charge, which at the time of occurrence was a domestic violence crime.
The following disqualifiers may, upon review by the Scottsdale Police Department, make you ineligible to work for the department:
- An inability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Unlawful sexual conduct.
- Commission of a felony.
- Any discharge from the U.S. armed forces other than an honorable discharge.
- Debts – demonstrated an unwillingness to honor fiscal contracts or just debts.
- Any other conduct or pattern of conduct that would tend to disrupt, diminish, or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.
- Lied during any stage of any law enforcement’s hiring process, falsified any information on the application or background questionnaire.
- Unresolved responses to relevant issues when administered a polygraph examination.