The Scottsdale Police Department will automatically disqualify any individual who has:
- Ever been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona.
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces.
- Been previously denied certified status, have certified status revoked or have current certified status suspended.
- Illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale marijuana or dangerous drugs/narcotics.
- Illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
- Illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation. Experimentation is defined as not exceeding a total of 20 times lifetime or exceeding five times, since attaining the age of 21.
- Ever illegally used marijuana, dangerous drugs / narcotics while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
- Illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years.
- Ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than for experimentation. Experimentation is defined as not exceeding a total of 5 times lifetime or exceeding one time, since attaining the age of 21. This includes, but is not limited to, cocaine/crack, heroin, opium, morphine, LSD/acid, methamphetamine/speed, mescaline, or derivatives thereof.
- Have a pattern of abusing prescription medication.
- Had excessive traffic violations within the past three years.
- Committed or violated federal, state, or city laws pertaining to criminal activity while employed by a law enforcement agency.
- Been previously employed with a law enforcement agency and since has committed or violated federal, state, or city laws pertaining to criminal activity.
- Lied during any stage of Scottsdale Police Department’s hiring process, falsified any information on the application or background questionnaire.
- Use of non-prescription steroids since Jan.1, 1994, shall fall under the same restrictions as illegal use of dangerous drugs.
- Conviction of a domestic violence crime, misdemeanor or felony or conviction of a lesser charge, which at the time of occurrence was a domestic violence crime.
The following disqualifiers may, upon review by the Scottsdale Police Department, make you ineligible to work for the department:
- An inability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Unlawful sexual conduct.
Commission of a felony.
Any discharge from the U.S. armed forces other than an honorable discharge.
Debts – demonstrated an unwillingness to honor fiscal contracts or just debts.
Any other conduct or pattern of conduct that would tend to disrupt, diminish, or otherwise jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.
Lied during any stage of any law enforcement’s hiring process, falsified any information on the application or background questionnaire.
Unresolved responses to relevant issues when administered a polygraph examination.