> Home > Scottsdale Police Department > Public Safety News Releases > Stabbing at Martini Ranch -- Death Investigation Update

Stabbing at Martini Ranch -- Death Investigation Update

Event date: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, from 9:54 AM to 9:54 AM

Date: 1/27/2013
Time: 1:10 AM
Report #: 1302011
Location: 7295 E. Stetson Drive (Martini Ranch bar)
Victim Info: Tyrice Thompson. 27 yr old, male, Laveen resident.
Suspect Data: Ian MacDonald. 8/25/1986


On January 27, 2013, just after 1 AM, there was an altercation among patrons inside the bar 7295 E. Stetson Drive (MARTINI Ranch). This resulted in a group males and females being escorted out of the bar by security staff. Among this group, was a 26 yr old male Tempe resident, Ian MacDonald. Outside the bar, MacDonald became involved in a physical fight with bar security employees. Tyrice Thompson, a 27 year old Laveen resident, working for Martini Ranch as a security officer, was stabbed 5 times in the back, hip and arm. When officers arrived, they found Thompson is serious condition from the stab wounds. Officers began interviewing witnesses and identified the patrons that were involved in the fight. Among them, Ian Macdonald. He was interviewed at the scene and denied knowledge of how the bouncer was stabbed. Nobody else in the party admitted to seeing or being involved with the stabbing. None of the security personnel or other bar employees could identify who stabbed Mr. Thompson and no knife was found on any involved parties at the scene. All persons interviewed were released from the scene.


Mr. Thompson was transported to SHC-Osborn with life threatening injuries. He was not able to speak to officers or help identify who stabbed him. On Saturday morning, February 2, Mr. Thompson died from his wounds.


Detectives conducted follow up interviews with the involved parties and reviewed security footage of the incident. They developed probable cause to believe that Ian MacDonald was the suspect who stabbed Mr. Thompson. On 1/29/2013 at about 2:30 pm, located and arrested Mr. MacDonald at his place of employment. During interviews, Mr. Macdonald admitted to fighting with the bouncers, but denied stabbing Mr. Thompson. He was released pending further investigation and results of lab analysis of evidence collected from the scene and Mr. MacDonald.


Mr. MacDonald remains the sole suspect in this case, however, we continue to develop the case processing new information on a daily basis. As detectives work to process all the information and evidence pertinent to the case, we will keep the public updated with the progress. We are actively working with the MCAO to file the proper charges on the person responsible for the stabbing death of Tyrice Thompson.

**The security video footage from the bar is not available for public release.